Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m building a small block chevy motor ,well not me, but I have afriend that races. He will be putting it together for me. just a few things that I 've bought a summit kit stock crank ,block from a shop in Texas bored .030 aSet of KB forged pistons 10:4:1, roller tip rockers hei distributor,scat rods 5.7 edelbrock performer rpm intake #7101 .I just ordered an ultradyne camshaft today a 288/296. Do you guys think this is a good start. thanks for having me. PS this setup is going in a 1982 chevy pickup

·
Registered
506 Posts
Everything sounds good.Are you racing it,or driving on the streets?If your driving it on the streets.The compression might be little high unless you use aluminum heads.Normally I would'nt suggest that much compression and cam for a truck.But if you're not towing with.And you're not worried about low end torque.Then your probably o.k.What kind of gear ratio?And what kind of Trans?Also,are you using a stall?Cause you'll need it,if you're running an automatic.I dont know what everyone else's opinion is on them but the last truck I set up for a friend had a similiar motor on it was a 383,10.5:1,E-tec 200 heads.Th-700-r4 with 2600stall,3.73 gears.294H magnum Comp cam.He was set on using that cam.We bought some Rhoads lifters.And it tamed it quite a bit on the low end.But opened it up in the midrange.I think that was a good idea for his truck.Being he drives it on the streets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using it for a litte street and strip Ihave a th 350C with a transgo shift kit and 2500 stall might upgrade to 2800.Is this a better choise or should I keep the 2500. Thanks man ,BLUE82

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man the guy at ultradyne told me the exact same thing,since I have the 2500 already I will go with 190cc heads.You guys really know your stuff. I don't really know too much about this stuff ,but if I hang around you guys long enough maybe I will learn something of value. Thanks again BLUE82

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of time will I get with this setup,should I have went with a smaller cam for the weight of the pickup.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,626 Posts
A smaller cam would be more streetable however you have compnstated with gear and rpm.

Reducing weight is always a +.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I received camshaft today I will mail the 284 I have tomorrow .Iwill trade camshaft for cloyes hex-ajust timing set. I'm buying parts as I go,doyou have an idea on a set of heads that's somewhere in the middle as for price range.I also have a brand new 274 I would like to sell xtreme energy. the camshaft I have now is a stept higher than I have in my pickup now it's a 278/288. this was a crate engine I bought from flatliner about 2 years ago loan it to a suppose to be friend he blew the heads didn't check water.thanks again BLUE82

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
355 engine builb

Iwould take 80.00 for the cam its brand new still in original box only took it out to look at it ,not that I know what I was looking at. I have had some dealing with skip,I bought a distributor from ,Iwill give him a call tomorrow morning. I also checked a place in Indiana called Tri- State Cylinder Heads toll free numberis1-800-270-0095.Thanks for The info man BLUE82

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know moving can be costly ,so I will hold on to it for a while just in case you get strait with the move.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to know if 195cc heads too much for my camshaft 288/296 and my stall 2500. BLUE82

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thats a good size.Thats the most I would run on a street driven sb 355.But you would'nt have any trouble running that on your application.You got enough compression and cam.That you could make real good use of the port size.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bonzi will the full roller rockers 1.6 affect anything in the setup I have.The rockers I have now are roller tip.BLUE82

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fuel pump question

What size mechanical fuel pump should I use with the setup I have I mean how many gph.BLUE82

·
Registered
506 Posts
1.6 rockers will bring up you cam lift slightly.Just make sure you check you're pushrod length.I love those roller tip rockers.They run so much smoother than stock ones.Some companies sell the right length pushrods.But i'd make sure and check it first.Ive made that mistake before.And get a 110gph mechanical pump.That should be good for a high performance street application.
Bonzipenguins

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bonzi I have an 80 gph fuel pump I bought a while back. the pump was for chevy 1973-1976 I will have to buy a new one,because warranty has expired.I'm curious about what kind of time I could hope for at the track, and how much horsepower this setup will produce.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts