Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 36 Chevy 3window coupe and am having a hard time figuring out what to do with the doors.
Has anyone out there replaced the internal door wood with metal?
I would like to do this so I can install hidden hinges as well as power windows.
Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
E Mail drectly at [email protected] or post at the site. I have never seen this topic discussed.
What have guys been doing all these years?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jerry I replaced all the wood in my doors with box tube and flat stock. Took abou 2 days to do the first door and about 2 hours to do the other one. Takes alot of cutting and welding but the finished product is worth the work. I now have doors that open and close as well as any new car without any sag at all. If you want more info e-mail me and I will get some pictures together.
Lateer
Al

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jerry, Al

I also have a 36 with the same prob.Can you send any info you have, I did send both of you a PM last week. Please check the MY Profile section.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Al, Jerry and anyone else that might have a 36 Chevy street rod. I was wondering where you have found the suspension, chassis, and motor mounting parts. I have a 1936 2 dr. standard sedan, been sitting in a dry clean garage since the early 70s and I think its finally time for me to dig in and get to work on it. Let me know of any places that have those kind of parts for my car. Thank you

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
JV, you may be a very lucky guy. The Standard series 2door and 4door Chevy sedans were the 1st of the GM line to use the "New" all steel construction. That is they have steel construction doors and very little wood in the body. They were the precursor to GM's 1937 intro of this construction throughout their lines.
Most of the chassis parts people have parts for these cars today. When my friend Jack had his there were no parts or kits available at all. His car had a small block Chevy, 350 turbo and Nova rearend. The front suspension was MustangII/Pinto with GM discs, a kit made special by a local rodder Roy Hay of Crosby TX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that there was a artical in Steet Rodder some months ago about doing the whole car in 1" square tubbing. Contact them and they would know the month issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts