Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
This is my first post I am new to the forum. I recently received a 1986 c7000 grain truck with a 366 big block. I pulled the engine with plans to put in a 1986 Buick Regal. I am troubled on finding information on a flex plate and a trans adapter to a 700r4 transmission as there is little information on the internet. Also wondering if the motor is worth the time to put in the car or just sell for another engine. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Return on investment. There are at least 100 better motors to begin a project with. This is the smallest Big Block Chevy that General Motors made. No hot rod parts available. Very, very heavy. Very low RPM range. 4-ring pistons. Block is 0.400" taller than a regular 454, so aftermarket intake manifolds won't fit without using spacer plates, which always leak. Tall distributor will interfere with everything.
Run an ad and try to sell it, you'll find out pretty quickly that nobody wants it, at least nobody in the hot rod hobby. But hey, if you're a glutton for punishment, pop her down in the Buick and fire her off. Good luck.

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
All that being said, the crank from a 366 is the same as a 396/427 and is usually forged steel. If you are going to scrap the motor, may want to hang onto the crank.

·
Registered
429 Posts
All that being said, the crank from a 366 is the same as a 396/427 and is usually forged steel. If you are going to scrap the motor, may want to hang onto the crank.
True...forgot about that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
More for Less Racer
20,218 Posts
The 366 also has 4 bolt main caps that are worth saving for a possible conversion swap onto a 2 bolt 427/454 4.250" bore block.

The 366 is a loser because of the 3.936" bore diameter, ….smaller than a SBC 350 bore. It shrouds the canted valve BBC head something terrible making it a low rpm only engine no matter what tricks you might try to add to it.

If you want to put it in, and in front of a 700R4, all you need is a neutral balance 14" diameter 168 tooth flexplate….a very common part. No trans adapter needed, the block has the common V8 and Straight Six Chevy transmission bolt pattern on it that has been in use since 1955. Just get rid of all the heavy truck bell housing and flywheel clear down to just the crank hub showing, and bolt on the flexplate. Make sure you use the shorter flexplate to crank bolts and not the longer flywheel to crank bolts, or the longer bolts may hit the back of the block pan lip when used with a thinner flexplate.

Totally not worth it, however. Part it out or find a large truck service garage or rebuilder and see if they might buy it whole from you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts