Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all.

I just signed up here. I bought a 37 chevy coupe in 1975 hoping to get at it someday. Well someday is here - I have the time, money and facility to tackle this. Right now I'm planning the project so I can purchase the necessary parts and go about this somewhat organized and efficient.

I'm wondering about purchasing a Fatman fabricated rolling chassis and starting there. What are members thoughts and experiences using a purchased chassis and specifically the Fatman brand ?

Also are there other options along this approach using salvage yard cars and parts ? I have a lifetime of experience with welding and fabricating steel, aluminum and stainless steel products. There's not much I'm not afraid to tackle or can't accomplish but I certainly don't mind buying some prefinished expertise to save project time and eliminate the learning curve.

Thanks for your comments.

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome Tom. Wow, 40 years later you are ready to start!

I used the original top hat frame in my 37 so I can't comment on the Fatman frame but I am sure it would be nice to start with something new. Are you planning on building a corner carver or a cruiser, that may help your decision. If you stay with the original frame check out Chassis Engineering for parts.

I am not a fan of using junkyard parts for steering, braking or suspension parts. That is my opinion, I'm sure it has worked for others but for my families safety I prefer new parts in those areas.

Like Matt said check out the 37/38 Chevys Owner thread in the Hotrodders Lounge. There are several helpful people there.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would look at an Art Morrison chassis first (artmorrison.com), absolutely top notch fabrication and quality. Might be a little more money but their stuff is worth it ....... or if your basic frame is in decent shape you could box the rails and add Morrison components. Very much worth a look.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,430 Posts
I see no reason to replace the frame personally, but that's just me. Upgrade what you have and there you go. It depends on your "expectations" of the car too, what do you plan on doing with it, that sort of thing. If you want a cool old feel of driving an old car then don't go go crazy and make it a "new" car. If you want to hop in it and take off on 5000 road trips, the more modern stuff is what you are after.

I have really gotten so that driving an old car because it's well, old, is the fun of it. My funky old car has personality, I feel that personality when I get in it. My '65 Buick Gran Sport feels like a frigging 2015 Mercedes next to my '59 Rambler and I love driving that Rambler every day.

Before you go buy anything, there are a lot of things you can do on the car without that frame, just start playing with it, and think about what are your expectations for the car. Don't just change for the sake of change, don't change because you think you can't drive it without upgrading it to 2015 standards that's goofy, you can drive a neat old hot rod with vintage drive train in it, it's your choice.

If you decide on the new chassis take some time to pick out what you want. They are damn nice that's for sure.

Brian

·
Registered
840 Posts
These cars already have a good frame (all box construction). I would add a middle cross member if any kind of real power was going to be in it. Put in a good IFS, can even leave leaf springs if you want or go with a coil over set up of your choice. These tend to be easy cars to build. There are lots of bolt on stuff for these. Going gasser style - they got a kit for that too. Have fun!!

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts