Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In 1937 Chevrolet produced a business coupe with a long trunk. This model had a plywood bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the long deep trunk area. It had the gas tank located in the passenger compartment with the gas filler cap on the side of the car. There was a standard model with one tail light on the driver's side and a deluxe model with two tail lights.
Chevrolet also produced a Sport Coupe with a rumble seat with a rotating rear deck lid that was approximately two feet shorter than the business coupe trunk lid. The rumble seat model also had a plywood bulkhead just behind the front seats. Your feet end up where the gas tank was located in the business coupe. Therefore the gas tank was relocated to the exterior of the coupe body between the two frame rails below the rumble seat. This location was also used for the sedan models. The gas filler location for both the rumble seat and sedan models was located on the rear fender. The last year for rumble seat coupes was 1938 for Chevrolet. I own a '37 Rumble seat coupe I street rodded in the early 90's and still drive it. I also have '37 trunk back coupe which is rusting in peace as a future project. I hope this clarifies the reasons for the different gas cap locations.
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I accidently hit the thread button instead of the reply button for my comments on '37 Chevy gas filler locations. Does anyone know how I switch my comments from a thread to a reply without retyping everything? I am new to this site and have not learned how to do this yet.
Thanks, Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.