Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my chassis blasted and primed and now I'm ready to upgrade the suspension. I'm going with a 9" Ford rear end, 3.73 gear which I already have. I'm ordering a Mustang II front end.

1. Does it matter if I replace the front end or the rear end first?
  2. What do I use for references on the rear end? I do need new mount brackets which have to be relocated. The mount bracket location on the Ford rear end is narrower than the ones on the original Chevy rear end.
  3. Is it ideal to use a Ford drive shaft with Ford rear end and change the yoke to match up with Chevy tranny?
All help is greatly appreciated....

Ray

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
37 Chevy

Do you know where the front end goes? Sounds like a stupid question but you need to know that it fits in the middle of the wheel well. Do you know the ride height? Need to know that also (with tire size you will be using). You didn't say what suspension you are going to use for the rear but I assume leaf springs. Need to position the rear end so that the tire will fill the wheel well and opening. You will also find out if there is going to be a problem with fender clearance at that time. Stock wheelbase should be close to where the tires look good in the fender openings but not necessarily spot on OEM wheelbase measurements. Work with a company or local job shop that does driveshafts. This way he will be able to supply the correct ends and correct overall measurements of the driveshaft. This could turn into a nightmare if you try to piece things together and come up with wrong measurements due to miscommunication.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts