Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower radiator hose on my '37 Ford SBC sprung a leak and there is no cross-reference for the hose that I removed (which had been shortened to fit). Can any of y'all tell me what lower radiator hose works on your '37 SBC rod?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Because of a wide range of street rod configurations I doubt you will find a "one size fits all '37s". What I've done in the past is go to the parts store and hunt the stock with the old unit or bent up wire. Start with the inlet/outlet sized needed and then use ingenuity to pick a hose with the required bend that can be cut to fit. Not an easy job but necessary for modified cars. Could use a universal "bend it yourself" hose but I don't like the looks of them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought 90 degree hose bends and connected with aluminum tubing. Just make sure you put a bead on the ends of the aluminum tubing, either roll it if you have the tools ( I saw a tool advertised somewhere to just do this) or tig weld so the hoses do not come off. Don't trust just hose clamps. All purchased from Summit.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Make a lower hose out of copper tubing. Polish it.
Then have 3" of rubber at the ends.

Fits perfect, looks nice, sheads heat, and it won't collapse.

Filling the ends with sand allows for bends up to 45 degrees easily. If you need 90 degrees then using a small section of 90 degree hose is recommended.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
I‘ve found the 4.6 V6 lower hose for S10 and S15 Chevy snd GMC pickups works pretty well. You will probably need to shorten the radiator end and cut the hose to insert a coupling so as to get the needed nipple alignment between radiator and pump.

Bogie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make a lower hose out of copper tubing. Polish it.
Then have 3" of rubber at the ends.

Fits perfect, looks nice, sheads heat, and it won't collapse.

Filling the ends with sand allows for bends up to 45 degrees easily. If you need 90 degrees then using a small section of 90 degree hose is recommended.
Thanks for the advice. Sorry. I don't understand what you mean by "filling the ends with sand" to allow for different angle bends. Can you clarify please? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After searching for a molded hose that will fit, I think that I will throw in the towel and use a flexible stainless steel hose kit with adapters. Do any of you have a particular brand or type that you recommend?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Sorry. I don't understand what you mean by "filling the ends with sand" to allow for different angle bends. Can you clarify please? Thanks.
Filling pipes with oven dried "play sand" (after capping one end) and compressing it as you fill it before crushing/welding the other end is a old methoud of bending exhaust and steel tubing(not recommended for roll cages) .

The harder the material the more heat you need.

With copper tubing I have bent 2" by hand around a tree/log the radius I want. A bit of heat will help. But if you need 30" of tubing then bending 4' pipe around a tree or with one end held down and lifting the other against a log will allow for you to use simple leverage to bend copper easily.

You can do 15 or 30 degree bends with out to much concern. 45 and 60 I use a bit of heat with. Anything above 60 I simply use a "middle" section of rubber and run straight tubing.

So lets say you have a PS facing water pump outlet. You run a xx degree turn of rubber which also reduces the pipe diamiter using a 90's truck hose. To the tube then you bend to xx degrees or use another section of xx degree rubber in the middle of the tube before having another section of xx degree rubber going into the radiatior.

Flexible or not. Gates "green stripe" coolant hoses are highly recommended. They are a bit more upfront. But they are worth it to keep your engine cool.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My issue is that I have an 1.5" neck on the water pump and a 1.75" outlet on the radiator so stock hoses are more difficult to find.
You are right the Chevy hose is 1 3/4" on both ends. I was thinking about my other car which has a 90 deg 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" hoses that came from a 1979 Dodge B100 van. Look at the pic on Rockauto. Your hose had to come from somewhere, too bad you weren't given that info.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
necessity is the mother of invention
58 truk has a stock radiator and thermostat housing, but gm never planned for this air filter
you can buy ss tube in various bends and cut to fit, combined with rubber ends it's worked for 38K miles
the bottom hose is stock and i could have ordered one, but it was easier to make out of what's on hand
a short ss tube with a half couple welded in for my fan control temp sensor

Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle Yellow

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UR right Ogre - necessity is the mother of invention and that's why they call it hotrodding. What ever works works. Make it fit with bent stainless steel exhaust tubing and hose connections, flex hoses etc. whatever does the job. Some are prettier than others but they all work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.