Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to rebuild an 380 cui engine, V8. Bore is 4.1 inches, stroke is 3.6 inches, compresion ratio 8:1.
Crankshaft journal is 2.5 inches, crankpin is 2.249 inches. As far as I know, this engin in produced in Europe around 1960, under GM license.
I live in Romania and we didn't have many V8 engines here. Considering this, there is also a lack of knowledge about american engines.
Could anybody tell me what engine is this and maybe where I can find a new set of pistons, rings and bearings?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
We're going to need a little better description in order to help you.

First, where is the distributor located, front or back of the engine?

Second, describe how the exhaust exits the heads. Are the exits spaced evenly front to back or are the two in the center close together?

A picture would even be better.

Centerline

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for your prompt answer.
Distributor is located at the rear end of the engine. Exhaust ports are distributed at equal distances. Exhaust manifold goes over the sparkplugs.
I will search a picture with the engine before I had it dissasembled.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
cristi said:
Hi,
Thanks for your prompt answer.
Distributor is located at the rear end of the engine. Exhaust ports are distributed at equal distances. Exhaust manifold goes over the sparkplugs.
I will search a picture with the engine before I had it dissasembled.
I'm just as curious as the rest of them, the only 380 I could find ANY amount of info on is a Mercedes Benz, but they were made in the late 70's and early 80's- and their distributor was in the front.

From what was described this almost sounds like a Nailhead, but the exhaust on those ran under the plugs, and were unequally spaced.

I'm stumped.:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also searched for 380 engines, but the only results I get were about 380hp engines...
Here are few pictures with the engine, maybe someone will be able to identify it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I'm stumped too. Not sure it's even American. Might be a British derivative or German. Doesn't match anything I'm familiar with.

Centerline

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is possible to be an brithish engine. Even if you don't know the engine's type, could you recommend me where I can get some parts that will fit this engine?

cristi

·
Registered
48 Posts
There a guy named Dick Allen (he built my 383 stroker engine for me). Go to www.strokermotor.com , see if you can e-mail him (maybe send a few picks). He is pretty knowledgable maybe he can help. If not, parts may be $pricey$. See if he can build you an engine (he ships all around the world).

Good Luck,
Stroke

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
We've got some British and Australian members, maybe they could help.

I've never seen anything like that before.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
OK...to start with what did this V8 come out of or don't you know? Have the block boiled..and look for numberts and letters embossed and stamped on it. I too have NEVER seen such and engine or trans for that matter!! I did notice the two SW carbs on the intake and that dosn't give me a clue either??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm thinking you have a 6.23L Rolls Royce, or Bentley T-Series motor. They both used the same motor, and production started in 1965. Dan

·
Registered
140 Posts
my suggestion is to find an old car collector. maybe you have something that is worth alot of money. what are you building this engine for?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts