Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 69 chevy half ton from a friend of mine who had it sitting for about the last 6 years in that period it had only been driven a few times

The engine was built about 40 000 kms before that It fires right up and has 50psi of oil pressure at idle (after I changed it that is)

Is there anything I should do to this motor I was thinking of putting a new cam and lifters and valve springs in it and maybe replacing all the gaskets (so I dont have to worry about leaks and so I can check the heads and such)

This is what it has on it right now
041 heads
Carter 635 cfm performance series carb
Performer Manifold (its odd the where it says performer is at the back of the engine and its written facing the front)
Unsure of the cam specs

Anyways I have a Performer Rpm manifold I might slap on it but I wont be revving this thing high anyways is it worth sticking it on

and
The transmisson was also rebuilt and has less then 8000 kms on it its a Th400 and it has a higher stall converter and a shift kit (I am unsure of how high the stall is but when in drive this thing barely moves if at all at idle)

Is there any thing I should do to it besides change the fluid

I have never bought a Truck that has been sitting along time where the motor and tranny were actually good and usable.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
It sounds as though it runs now without any leaks. I would drive it for a while and see what happens. The only thing I can think of that may need changing are the valve seals.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I completely Re-tune it
Do you have a link

I am probley going to stick all new gaskets a new cam and lifters that matches my Performer Rpm manifold and 3:73 gearing
Not sure exactly what I want and valve springs to match it
I dont know what it has for a cam right now but I think its just a Rv cam

I havent tested the compression yet
I noticed it has a lot of white smoke upon start up even if it has been ran a hour or 2 before So I think the head gaskets are done
The whole truck is getting nearly a frame off resto I figure its better it fix what may arise now instead of it getting me later on It has to be reliable as it will become my everyday driver

·
Registered
198 Posts
the white smoke on startup is probably just oil running down the valve guides and pooling there till you start it and it burns off... typical chevy stuff. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts taking a long time to go away or it starts doing it after it's only sat for a half hour or less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.