Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there are about a million threads on stroker motors but after hours of searching I still have many question. Also this is for my 92 GMC truck TBI (not a hot rod) but this board seems to have the most knowledgeable members.

Ok my 92 GMC extra cab 4x4 has about 130K and seems a little down on power these days. I plan on keeping the truck for quite some time so rebuilding the motor makes sense. I want to create a torque monster at low RPM so a 383 seem to fit the bill. I want this to be a daily driver and run on regular. Most of my daily driving is at low RPM (2500) so the motor would need to produce lots of torque there. Also 2500 is about the RPM it runs at highway speed.

I am assuming it would be easier to get a new short block already assembled and then bolt my heads (after valve job) and intake (Edelbrock performer dual plane) and then reuse my TBI.

Ok now the questions:

Best place + price to get a short block?

What kind of pistons and compression should I shoot for?

Will cast (pistons and crank) be OK since it’s going to be in a mild state of tune and never see RPM over 5K?

Should I spend the extra $ and get it internally balanced? If so can I reuse my balancer?

Will my TBI and computer work with a 383? Can’t I just remap my chip afterwards?

Will my heads perform well or do I need to have them ported? Or do I need an after market set? (I want to stay with iron heads).

What cam? Can I reuse my stock rockers and still get good performance?

Well hopefully you guys have a good idea what I’m trying to achieve so thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Best place + price to get a short block?

dont know

What kind of pistons and compression should I shoot for?

9-9.5 to 1

Will cast (pistons and crank) be OK since it’s going to be in a mild state of tune and never see RPM over 5K?

cast is ok

Should I spend the extra $ and get it internally balanced? If so can I reuse my balancer?

Balancing would be a good idea, easiest thing to do would be to run a damper from a 400 but if youre getting it balanced anyways you could change it to an internally balanced assembly then you could reuse your old damper.

Will my TBI and computer work with a 383? Can’t I just remap my chip afterwards?

Yes it will work especially if your engine is built pretty mild.

Will my heads perform well or do I need to have them ported? Or do I need an after market set? (I want to stay with iron heads).

I think thats where you can get the most gain. Personally I would scrap the stockers and order a set of these heads.
They claim 76cc but all the ones Ive checked were 72cc. Theyre a good replacement type head lot more iron in them, hardened exhaust seats will make them less apt to cracking like the stock GM heads and the air flow is better too.

What cam? Can I reuse my stock rockers and still get good performance?

I would find a stock factory roller cam which you should be able to buy dirt cheap.
Or buy an aftermarket one thats slightly larger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the quick response and the links really help.

What makes those heads so much better then my stockers? Is it the Vortec 'D' Chambers that makes em flow better? $463 per pair seems like a really good price too.

Any idea how much torque and HP I can expect?

And the last thing do you think this route is better then just buying a crate vortech?

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Your stock TBI computer will not work satisfactorily with the 383. You will need to get a new chip burned for it.

Vortec heads will also not work with your stock computer. You will need to get a chip burned for that application.

A combination of a 383 with Vortec heads will not work with your TBI. You will need to get a chip burned for it.

You will want to have it balanced. Internally balanced is nice, but your application would be fine exernally balanced.

A crate Vortec will not work with your stock TBI computer. You will need to get a chip burned for it.

You may or may not get an aftermarket cam to work with your stock TBI. Anything with more than 210 degrees at .050" (intake) will be iffy.

tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I was planning on taking it down to a dyno and get a chip made after the swap. I was also planning to dyno the truck before the swap just for fun and to see how much HP/torque I gained. I will be able to get it running enough to drive it to the shop wont I?

I guess my concern is with a dyno and new chip made what can I expect? I’m hoping I can make a torque monster using the TBI because I really like how simple the system is. 350 to 383 is not a huge jump in cubes and 5K is the max RPM the motor will ever see. Going to port injection is really out of the question at this point.

Mostly I want the grunt to power up hills at 2500RPM and barely have to give it any gas.

I just got to make sure I get the right combo of heads, cam, and compression for what I want.

I built a motor many years ago for a 77 GMC Jimmy and bought WAY to much cam, the thing was a total dog until I swaped the cam to an RV cam a day later. Then it ran nice but was mostly luck because I did little to no research.

This time I’m want to have every part down to gaskets figured out before I turn one bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts