Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TT383 build "help"

I have a bunch of parts to build a 383 which i got when i purchased my
Trans Am. However i have never built or really thought of building a V8 (other than factory rebuilds) so i have no idea what will/will not work.

MOST of what i have:
SCAT 9000 series 383 crank
FM SC-186R 230* dur, .480" lift, 109 lsa
KB Silvolite Hypereutectic pistons
stock 5.7" rods with ARP bolts
Weiand Team G intake
all clevite 77 bearings
Melling high vloume oil pump
Long tube headers (obviously cant use with the turbos)
76cc chamber heads (333882 casting)

my questions:
will the hyper pistons/ stock rods hold up to any boost?

i Will obviously want low compression, what heads should i go with? I have a pair of an '88 Chevy 5.7L pickup engine (what is in the TA right now) and the pair i got with the car (numbers above). i am told i will get 9.5:1 comp with the pistons.rods above with 64cc heads.

What size turbos would be best?

What would be a good carb? ( i wanted to go with a Predator but cant find many reveiws and everyone ive talked to said a holley double pumper would be better)

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
I can't speak intelligently on which turbos to choose, but I can add that the hypereutectic pistons will be fine. Hyp pistons are plenty strong, but they are more brittle than forged, meaning they can take the power and pressure, but make darn sure you avoid detonation. Detonation at turbo levels of cylinder pressures are nearly instant death for hyp pistons. Forged pistons are a little "softer" meaning they can absorb impacts a bit better and occasional detonation won't shatter them.

I also don't like the cam. Get a dedicated turbo cam. That one you have has waaay too much overlap. Look in the 114-116* duration range. You want no overlap at all if possible. Otherwise you'll just blow all your intake charge right out the exhaust during the overlap period.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Almost all cams you will find in rags and mags are gas cams. You'll want to call and get a custom grind, or a off the shelf grind specificly for your needs.
They charter to those who buy the majority of the cam and sorta forget the rest of us are out there too. Only so much advertising room you know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, also...

I have a turbo already from an earlier project, however i think it will be too small... what do you think?

its a Master Power "super 60-1" it was origincally a 1.15 turbine, but i bought a .70 turbine for the orignal project. So it is a P trim T4 60-1 .60Ar compressor, .70ar turbine. I think it is too small, but it is still brand new so i figure if it will work at all i will give it a try.

·
Registered
802 Posts
woa hang on a second. your going to use a cam w/a 109LSA with boost? i would think you would need something with ATLEAST a 112LSA :confused: i would make plan of all the parts that i'm going to use and stick to it then call comp cams, they should steer you in the right direction ;)

your c.r. will depend on your pistons, stroke, bore size, and c.c. size in the heads so we actually need some more info like what are your pistons? dished, flat tops, etc..... i personally wouldn't use the 882's for anything but a paper weight, but thats just me. this has been argued numerous times on here so i'm not going to say anything else about it. tell us what kinda c.r. you looking to get then we can work with it from there.

will your hyper pistons and stock rods hold up to any boost? haha HELL NO!! stock rods after being shot peened and polished are known to hold up to 500hp. but then again i wouldn't trust it, if i boostin i'd go forged everything (except the crank, unless i was putting up some ridicoulous high #'s)

btw for your own good, when your out and about tomorrow stop by the store and exchange that high vol. oil pump. it aint good for anything except sucking your oil pan dry :nono:

-J

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jesse01 said:
woa hang on a second. your going to use a cam w/a 109LSA with boost? i would think you would need something with ATLEAST a 112LSA :confused: i would make plan of all the parts that i'm going to use and stick to it then call comp cams, they should steer you in the right direction ;)

your c.r. will depend on your pistons, stroke, bore size, and c.c. size in the heads so we actually need some more info like what are your pistons? dished, flat tops, etc..... i personally wouldn't use the 882's for anything but a paper weight, but thats just me. this has been argued numerous times on here so i'm not going to say anything else about it. tell us what kinda c.r. you looking to get then we can work with it from there.

will your hyper pistons and stock rods hold up to any boost? haha HELL NO!! stock rods after being shot peened and polished are known to hold up to 500hp. but then again i wouldn't trust it, if i boostin i'd go forged everything (except the crank, unless i was putting up some ridicoulous high #'s)

btw for your own good, when your out and about tomorrow stop by the store and exchange that high vol. oil pump. it aint good for anything except sucking your oil pan dry :nono:

-J
OK, with the piston/rod/882 heads my C.R. will be right around 8.3-8.5:1
i will probably go with some forged I-beam rods, but i only want to make like 500 horsepower or so, not looking for anything TOO insane. For now i will probably stick with the hyper pistons, unless i come along some REALLY good deal or something. As far as the cam... That is a good idea, i will wait until i have everything figured out and just call up and get a custom grind or see if they may have one that fits my needs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hows about this cam: custom grind from Comp Cams for turbo/SC apps.

Intake Exhaust
Valve Adjustment 0 0
Gross Valve Lift 0.464 0.464
Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 268 276

Valve Timing At 0.006
Open Close
Intake 24 64
Exhaust 76 20

These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 110 Intake CL
Intake Exhaust
Duration At 0.05 222 226
Lobe Lift 0.309 0.309
Lobe Separation 114

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
since you're only looking for 500 hp and want a driver- I would go with a 268 cam and a 150 shot of nitrous- that'll easily put you over 500 hp with well ported 882's and is a LOT cheaper than going blown. oh, and the stock rods can take alot more than given credit for- change to ARP bolts and just make sure you stay out of detonation. You can go aftermarket forged if you want to push 600 hp, but at 500 its not that big of a deal. People have been running 500 hp on stock rods since the late 60's. I would also recomend getting a piston with a slight dome if possible- pistons for a sbc are relatively cheap and if you want to use your 76cc heads then you're going to need a little dome to get any decent compression.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its already set to be a Twin Turbo. Nothings gonna change that.
All i am basically looking for is help on selecting a few parts.
Like i said also i have everythign pretty much taken care of except the cam.
and the 500HP is basicaly the low side of what i want, that is based on the parts i have right now. once i get the better rods/pistons i will be upgrading a couple other things and seeing how much HP i can get out of the turbos.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
okay then... Voodoo 262 with 1.6:1 rockers on the exhaust- if you're going flat tappet, if roller my guess is just a semi-SWAG. Turbo's like extra exhaust and less overlap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, thanks...
Here are the summit brand camshafts for Turbo applications. which of the SBC cams would be best?

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+302116+4294887319+115+4294908216

the SUM-1105 has the power range i think would be good for my engine but like i said i dont really know much about picking a cam.

i have a set of lifters and chrome molly pushrods. how do i know if my engien is a mechanical or hydraulic setup? I was told that certain blocks cant use hydraulic cams

1 - 14 of 14 Posts