Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of building a chevy 383 and I wanted to post the build sheet and get some comments/thoughts/ideas. this is my first engine that I have built from the bottom up. My Goal for engine? ...make alot of HP. engine if for mostly track, with a little short rides on street.

block- 2 bolt main. ARP Main studs. 1 piece rear seal. deck clearance .025"
crank- scatt forged
rods-scatt forged I rods
rod bolts-ARP
pistons- Forged Alum +5cc
cam- Comp cams xtream energy. "Duration at 050 inch Lift:236 int./242 exh" "Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.520 int./0.540 exh"
Heads- AFR 195 "65cc"
head gasket- "C"Thickness .02
oil pan- Moroso 7Q
oil pump- Moroso high V
windage tray- custom
Distributor- MSD Pro billet street.
ignition box- MSD 6AL-2D
Lifters- Comp Cams high energy hydraulic roller lifters.
rockers- comp cams 1.6 roller lifers.
---that's most of the main parts I have now--

thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yep, Have the block "zero" decked.

leaving slugs down in the hole will loose proper squish pad area & heat the cylinder walls which will lead to detonation. especially in a mostly drag app.

Also I would lean you towards a solid roller as you will yield more HP & Tq under the curve.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
In my opinion not a bad build at all but your compression like stated will be way high for pump gas and not having to run racing fuel. With a 383 build its good to go with a d dish type piston to get a good compression ratio with out having to run race gas.

·
Proud LOSER
2,185 Posts
I suspect your looking at Scat PN# 1-90455BI
In this case its a 5cc flat top, if that's the case then with zero deck and using a standard felpro 1003 then your right at 11.1 comp, a little much for pump IMO but it can be done. If its more strip the street it works, if the opposite then look at heads with 70cc chambers.
That's a tiny cam for a strip/street 383 and there are better choices.
What's the platform? Trans, converter, gear, race weight?

·
Proud LOSER
2,185 Posts
don't have a plat form yet just engine. not sure what is going in.
Building a motor with a target HP is easy, pick your number, choose parts accordingly.
Now when it comes time to actual use that motor its an entirely different ball game.
Your "500" HP 383 isn't going to be much fun in a 4400# C10 truck for example, not unless its got a quality 5000stall and 4.88 gears. In that instance we would build for low rpm power to get it rolling, think Torque more then HP. Maybe you want a 406, or better yet a BBC form that big vehicle.
Now let's say your using a gutted 80 Malibu Gbody
Can be down around 2900-3000# with attention to detail.
That 500hp 383 is going to be a blast with a tight 4000 converter and a 4.11 gear.
Fun on street and strip.
So you see where weight, converter and gear as well as intended use come into play.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Currently running a 509hp 383 that I built for street/strip app on pump gas with no detonation issues.
Zero deck
12cc dish pistons
59cc Pro-comp heads
Custom Comp lobes roller 242/[email protected]
Fel-pro #1003
10.78:1 CR

Depending on your gasket thickness with zero deck you can go from 10.75:1 to 11.03:1.

I have built many street combos with this CR with no detonation issues on pump gas.

Simply put, the combo has to be thought thru to be successful.

If you intentions are mostly strip then you want the most CR you can get and still maintain dual purpose.

Zero deck, Alum heads that flow well, good choice on cam & knowing exact CR will yield positive results!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
compression is around 10.9:1
and dynamic compression ratio is 8.35:1
pump gas is imposable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking into the edelbrock performer Rpm intake and a Hol750 double pumper. yes/no? better? ideas?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I would use the 210 cc heads on a 383 looking for some strip use. Drags? a decent solid roller cam,850/950 Holley,1 3/4 headers or better. I would want to be able to rev past 7k for drag racing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when I spoke to the AFR rep they said that the 210 would be to big of a port and would slag on the bottom end. and they said to use the 195

·
Registered
306 Posts
Depends on what your doing with car, I was told that too at one point.

I have a friend who competed in Engine masters Challenge & had advised 210 + plus for street strip.

My 406 SBC is going to have 220cc +

Depends on your gears too...we have 3.73's ...what do you have?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
buy 210 cc profiler heads and a solid roller cam and make 575 plus horse power thats street ableor

use 195 cc AFR heads and a hydraulic roller cam and make 515 plus hp

shaker,gears dont affect the heads,I use 227 cc heads and 3.50 gears,it ran the same when I had 2.73 gears

·
Registered
306 Posts
Vinne,
Talking gears & rpm in that post.

The car will run better if closer to it's powerband with an aggressive cam & large port heads....your combo sound fine to me!...missed the 2.73 gear part...what you mean it ran the same?

How many cubes you got under your 227cc's?

No idea what the poster is running??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted to run the hydraulic lifers. and 500 hp was the number I was trying to reach. anything over the 500 was a +. kinda worried about the 195 now. I did already buy them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts