Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a budget 383 for a '95 Blazer that is going to be street/offroad. I'm looking for low end torque and reusing alot of parts I already have.

It'll be- Eagle cast crank, stock 5.7 rods with ARP bolts, 4 bolt high nickel block, Wiend Stealth intake, Heddman Long tube headders, Accel HEI, 9.5:1 compression, mated to a 700R4 and a 3.73 posi with 31" tires.

I'll be using 1.6:1 ratio rockers on ported factory heads with 2.02/1.6 vlaves ( I don't have the casting numbers... I know, its important).

I'm thinking of running either the 262 or the 256 VooDoo cams (except ground on a 106 LSA). I would like to use the 262, but do you think it would be too big for the lowend torque I'm trying to build?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
I would advise to maybe go more like 108-110 LSA, 112-114 if you're keeping the EFI. That 106 will idle like a top fuel dragster :) If you are going to keep the EFI, then definitely skip it. things like MAP sensors need a steady signal to work. The stock cam had 117.5 LSA, just to put things in perspective.

Sounds good. The only other thing I would strongly suggest is splurge $150 on 6" rods. With that much stroke the side loads produced with short rods might be really tough on cylinder wear. It will be $150 that might double the life of that engine and make the oil a little happier.

I won't recommend cams since I'm not a 4x4 guy, but depending on how the transfer case is geared, any streetable torquey cam will do fine offroad. I would shoot for a torque peak at or below 3000 for the street, and depending on how hard core you are offroad, maybe lower.

If its a stock 95 engine, you might have pretty terrible heads.. like bad enough that they can't be fixed with porting. If you pull your intake and find that the ports are half-covered with a casting hump, just toss em. They are swirl port heads as they called them and they won't support more than about 220 hp, but like you said, we'll know more when we get a casting number

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this engine was pulled from an '87 Surburban, but I don't think it was the original one. the heads are not '95's I don't like the 6" rod because it raises the pin too high and usually shortens the skirt on the piston too. I'tll be carbed too, and the radical idle is kinda the point on the 106 LSA, but keep in mind this is a smaller cam too, so the overlap won't be terrible.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Call Comp Cams and have them grind you a High Energy 268H with a 108 LSA and a 104 intake centerline. This will put your DCR in the 8.0 range if you have a 9.5:1 CR. This cam will work well for your application. Anything smaller is going to cause problems with the 9.5:1 CR....my 2 cents worth

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll admit I was a little worried about that, but my reasoning is that I have a Edel performer cam (which is a piece of crap as cams go) in my Olds 350 with 9.6:1 compression and it runs fine on 87. I figure as long as I polish the chambers use a 180 t-stat and use high ratio rockers it'll be close, but shouldn't be too bad with a 262 cam. Maybe I should lower it a hair to be safe, but I hate to give up efficentcy for no reason.

·
Registered
994 Posts
curtis73 said:
Sounds good. The only other thing I would strongly suggest is splurge $150 on 6" rods. With that much stroke the side loads produced with short rods might be really tough on cylinder wear. It will be $150 that might double the life of that engine and make the oil a little happier.
The side loading isn't much of an issue at all. GM uses 5.7" rods in their 3.8" stroke Goodwrench 383's and I'm sure they aren't getting a bunch of worn blocks back.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
383 Cam

You might want to check out the Crower website and look at their"Baja Beast"cams these will make some serious torque!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts