383ci 9.67:1 im assembling
Vortec heads
Bushed I-Beam rods 5.7"
Speed pro hypers,Moly rings
Stock 400 crank
Gear drive
Performer intake
600cfm edelbrock carb
I was wondering if anybody tried the 268XE comp cam?I was wondering how it performed?And How the idle sounded?Was it a mild lope?Or a stock kind of sound.Im looking for a mild lope.Nothing too big,But definately not stock sounding.
I was also wondering if I had to get self aligning roller rockers?I've had screw in studs and guides installed,Comp springs,locks and retainers.
This engine is going into a 72' C10 chevy longbed,with a TH700-R4,and 2400 stall converter.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
If you have guide plates you don`t need self aligning rockers, since they both serve the same purpose. if they were ran together it would bind.
I haven`t tried the cam in question, but if memorey serves it has a mild lopey idle and it should give it outstanding low end torque with good mid range power, ideal for the street. I have used a High Energy 268 comp cam, it had a lopey idle and had good street manners.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
383 cubes at 86% VE (a guess) and 6000 RPM only uses 565 cfm. I'd say the 600 is well chosen. It won't present much of a restriction until 6500 or so.

Sooo many people put bigger carbs on than they need, its refreshing to see one properly sized.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already had the 600cfm.But I did'nt opt to get a bigger one because I drive this truck everyday.I just rebuilt the 600cfm.Because I got it used in the first place.The choke did'nt work right and I did'nt know how long the guy had it before me.But I rebuilt it before I pulled the last motor.
So do you think this cam will give me the mild lope and sound im looking for?I did'nt want to go too big with cams or carbs.Being it's a daily driven street truck.I dont do any racing,But I do like to have a little fun once in a while,while still being able to go to work and back.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow I like how your project turned out.I've been taking care of my performance dept. ,But soon will be restoring it's once good looks.
My engine I had before was a 350 with 9.3:1 CR,256H XE cam,Gear drive,Camel bump heads 2.02/1.60,1.52 roller rockers,RPM intake,600cfm carb.
It ran great the power/Mileage combo was great.But I had the thirst for more. Out of curiousity how does that motor sound/run?And do you think the motor im building is to much for a daily driver?I would'nt think so.The only thing I really did'nt like about the old motor was I sounded only a little more than stock.I actually could hardly tell the difference at idle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 268 should be a good cam for that 9.7:1, and it should have a slightly bumpy idle. I have a '72 GMC that I'm restoring and have a 9.1:1 383 built up for it and have chosen the XE262. Comp recommended a XE256 for my build.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
kuhn-77 said:
600cfm sounds a little small for a 383 ..........i would use a t least a 650, 700 minimum
Just my $.02 but I ran a 600 Double Pumper on an a similar (except for the Vortec heads) 383 in a '72 Chevelle with a TH400 and 3.73's. This was strictly a street machine, after a couple small jet changes it worked perfectly, it was crisp off idle but pulled strong all the way to 6,000. I'd say in a full size PU he'll be fine with the 600.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I had a 355 with vortec heads and the xe268h. In my opinion, it was a fairly mild cam. There may have been a little bit of a choppyness over a stock cam, but not a whole lot. I ran it with a 1900 stall, 700R4 tranny, 3.90 gear and a 26" tall tire. That setup worked really well as far as low end power goes. It gave up around 5800 RPM. I used a 650 carb which was plenty, but a 600 would have probably wrorked also. It was fine for the street, sometimes I would have to double foot it at stop lights. I dont know if the cam had anything to do with that though. I drove that car every day for a couple of years until I wrecked it. If I had it to do again, I would have gone with the xe274h and a 2400 stall. I am willing to put up with quite a bit though. If you want easy driving motor with a ton of low end power I would go with the 268. I figure you will still be at around 400 hp and 450 ft lbs pretty easily. Having a choppy idle will inherantly make the car less streetable. On the other hand, yours is a 383 and mine was a 350. The 268 will act more mildly in the 383 than my 350. If you look in my photo album, you can see the car. It is the blue 1972 ventura. It is the link opposite by screen name.

Adam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.