Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to building from the ground up , I purchased a 78 vette project I'm planing on turning it into a 383 with a 177 blower I was qurious of what anyone had to say about the kit I'm planing on purchasing here are the specs. As well as your thoughts on the blower I'm going with as a combo thanks.

Scat nodular cast steel crankshaft.
H-beam 5.7 Full floating Bushed rods with 7/16 12 Point cap screws.
Probe low expansion Fully forged 12cc dish pistons 4.030 bore size
Hastings plasma Moly rings
king bearings
Pro street damper
168 tooth flex plate

Thanks,

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
NO.
Forged is the way to go with forced induction. What are you planning for cr? Make sure the kit will work with the heads you want, deck hight, etc...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think BigDog is right. The scat cast cranks are pretty good to 500 HP. But I think you'll be pushing, or exceeding that.

PatM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What crank would do the best ? and I'm torn on cams I'm not sure the way to go for the build I'm thinking I want to go with a mid sized cam and let the blower make most the power

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
What I do for the cam is either to pick a cam and build the engine based of of it. Or build the engine how you want it to perform and pick a cam that works with what you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually noticed that and I can get the -22 dish pistons for the same price I'm trying not to spend a ton but want good horsepower I found the kit for 850 block after machine work around 650 and 2500 for the 177 supercharger and I figure with about another 1500 I can pick up a good set of heads and cam

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Im gonna go with the 355 now that I looked into it and looks like I'll save a lot of money going that route thanks guys for the advice

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more question does anyone have any good tips on how to re align the headlights on the c3 so they don't rub the hood

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep that's my cbr sometimes I just like to open my garage and look for awhile at the vette and the bike , I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum that likes to just open there garage and stare

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing restoring a old car that hasn't moved in ten +years has taught me is a acceptance for RAT **** and a higher tolerance for SPIDERS!!!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You might benefit from a MSD Boost retard. If this is driven on the street and requires a curve to react to different driving. Made all the difference in my truck after I gave in to the purchase. You can go max timing and have no detonation. My detonation began at around 4-5000rpm. Making only 5 psi boost. No matter how the mixture was enriched or timming reduced it did not solve the problem completely. The BTM solved the problem my engine was experiencing, and allows maximum power extraction in the package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i do have one more question when checking my volts from the starter terminal im not getting enough to start the car i am planing on replacing the battery cables tonight in hopes to corect this problem i was wondering if anyone has done this on this model vette and if they had any advice for me thanks

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
My 81 had starter issues when I bought it. I replaced the started with a super high torque starter. The battery is in stock location behind seat.using stock wires.so far problem fixed.also using the best battery I could fit in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ive replaced the starter already all 15lbs of it , car still wont start i have a optima red top in it brand new now the only thing i can think of is its the battery cables they dont look super hard to replace but ive thought that about a lot of things on a car and been wrong , the positive has been replaced before so it leads me to think that its had this problem before

1 - 20 of 31 Posts