Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, there is a little ping that goes on after it changes from 1st to 2nd gear and it only happens when i get on it/floor it. Is that a timing issue? to far advanced?. I have put 91 octane gas in it with octane booster. thanks

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Try bouncing the timing back 4 or 5 degrees. If it goes away then slowly work your way back up to your original timing until you get and optimal setting.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
First off, you can take a couple degrees out of the initial timing to help out, but I think if you really want to fix the problem you need to do more than just take initial timing out of it and call it good. What RPM is this happening at? How much load? Heavy throttle? Have you read your plugs? Are certain about your carburator, initial, transition and primary circuits?

I think the biggest help here is going to be read your plugs and make sure you're getting a proper burn. Then I would suggest getting a crane cams timing advance kit with the adjustable vacuum advance.

If you're pining after first gear on part throttle, vacuum advance is your enemy. You're getting over advanced and you need to back off the vacuum diaphram a bit. Furthermore your mechanical advance may be coming in too soon, so curving with different springs may also be needed. Your old springs may be a little worn and not allowing the advance to come on as slowly as it needs to. A new spring set would help you out nicely, and at the cost of 20 bucks for the adjustable vacuum and the spring kit, you can't go wrong! Is this like a 383 that got a doner HEI unit from some old 305? If so, you really need to revamp everything and tune it to your new 383. What is your compression ratio?

K

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks, first off its happening when i floor it/heavy throttle right after it chrips the tires from 1st to 2nd. I have looked at the plugs, they are whiteish/brown. The carb is a brand new Holley 670 Street Avenger. have not really messed with it. maybe turned mixture screws a little. I think it might be the timing, The distributor is the orignal one that has been modded to use my MSD 6A. No HEI. It could be the springs, car has been sitting along time in storage, just had it out for about 8 months now and have been puting it back together. I was actually thinking about getting one of those MSD distributors becasue this one is the orginal and i dont know if it is time to replace it ir what.thanks

Todd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts