Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... i am interested in your thoughts on the importance of having a machine shop balance the rotating assembly on a 383 sbc. The reason I am asking is because I put 1 together using a 400 crank that I had around, and an old 350 that a buddy had. We took the block to the machine shop and told them we were building a 383 with it and we're going to use the 5.7 rods with the old 400 crank. We got the block back Bought the right pistons And put it together. We never weighed any of the rods or pistons or did anything to balance it at all other than using the correct balancer and flex plate. The engine seems to run fineI which makes me ask the question how important is it to balance the rotating assembly?

·
Registered
229 Posts
balancing 383

I think its good insurance to have any "combination"of different parts balanced by machine shop. Eliminates "strangr problems" that COULD occur later.
6sally6

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
why would you build any engine with performance in mind and not balance the assembly? A 4,000 rpm stock 400 rebuild would likely run fine.A good 383 kit that advertises its prebalanced would likely run fine at low rpm.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
How did you get the 400 crank to spin in the 350 block?
If you used a 400 flywheel and balancer, and happened to use a piston that resulted in a bobweight near the stock 400 bobweight, it should be balanced fine for street use. Turn it up to about 6400 RPM a few times and the lack of balance might show up.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You already answered your question when you said it runs fine.Didn't You?. So if I tell you in my opinion you should balance it,are you going to take it apart??. This balance vs unbalance debate is as old as the one about 5.7 vs 6" rods.

If unbalanced the range long term is from pounding out rod bearings to either cracking or breaking crankshafts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.