Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
USMC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built a 383 for my 68 Camaro, and would like some questions answered or input. This is my 1st engine build so it was pretty stressful trying to decide if I have the proper build. I love to run this thing hard.

My Engine: 383
Heads 64cc / Dart Pro 1 215 Aluminum / bee hive springs/
solid push rods PBM 5/16 chrome moly
roller rockers PBM 7/16 Ratio 1.5
Intake PB Hurrican open plenum
Scat crank
6" H-beem rods
Flat Top pistons (PBM) was told mahilie volume -5cc
Carburetor AED HO (Holley) 750HO
Comp Cam 570/574 / @.50 236/245 / LS 107.5
roller lifters
TCI 350 (2500 stall) 373 posi
not decked
MSD 6A
Powder Coated Hooker Super Competition w/H-pipe

1. Do you see any issues with this set-up or any thing you would change?
2. How do you feel about this Cam selection.
3. Any quess on the CR? (fel pro gasket.)
4. Any HP quesses? (i will have it dynoed here in about 2 weeks.
5. I'm really struggling over what spark plug to run with this.

I'm hoping for over 400hp to the rear wheel not for sure if i'm leaving out info that you may need to help me with my question.

Thanks for the input/help. Oscar

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Around 10.7:1 cr assuming a 0.040" felpro gasket and 0.020" deck.

The cr kind of high for that cam but you should be ok with those heads.

A little more stall and gear would make it run stronger. 3000 stall and 4.11 gear would be my idea of the perfect setup. But, 2500 stall with a 3.73 gear is good enough.

should make close to 500hp at the crank (400 wheels) but a lot of other variables can effect that (carb setup, ignition timing, engine assembly, ambient conditions, dyno operator, ect......)

good luck at the dyno!

·
USMC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
REply to 454C10

454C10 Thanks for the reply! Would you go with a bigger cam or would it help to go with 1.6 rockers? With that CR is 93 oct okay to run? I was also thinking about going to about a 3000 stall, so your reply confirmed what I was thinking. This is my 1st time on this site, and the engine. man wish I would have known about it sooner. Thanks

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I think 0.570" lift is enough for a street engine. 1.6's will over stress the valve train (IMO) and will kill the valve springs quicky.

93 should be ok with your current setup. Your engine setup (flat tops with aluminum and fast burn head design) shouldn't require that much total ignition timing advance. 20 to 25 initial and 34 total should do it.

Don't sweat it. I would run it the way you have it. Unless you have money to burn. Your setup is good.

You could go up one cam size. This would help reduce cylinder pressure (dynamic compression ratio) by closing the intake valve later. Furthermore, a wider LSA would also help close the valve later (110 or 112). 107.5 LSA is on the narrow side and not really needed for a good flowing cylinder head.

·
USMC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told a couple of days ago, that with my build listed up top, that my cylinder pressure may be high, and I might be on the verge of needing to run race fuel. I don't think this is the case, but again this is my first engine build by myself, and the guy telling me was pretty young, but he works in a engine shop. I'm not saying anything about his age/experience but sometimes it matters. Seems to run pretty good. Still need to fine tune it. How would I know if this is the case??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.