Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for guidance on selecting headers for new Blueprint 383 stroker for 39 Ford resto mod project. The engine is paired with a 700r4 trans on. TCI 4 link chassis. The engine was dyno’d at 473hp. I have located 1 1/2” long tube headers that will fit the chassis or another option is 1 5/8” shorty headers. Either will be linked to 2 1/2” exhaust. What would be the better choice for typical street rod use?

·
Registered
710 Posts
shorty headers are crap. 473 hp warrants 1 3/4 long tube headers but 1 5/8 will work ok. I like the 3 inch exhaust.
after I had upgraded my engine which 1 1/2 long tube headers, I had a semi custon 1 7/8 long tube headers and was like going from 2 bbl to 4 bbl! Huge difference. Get or make the correct headers

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
IMHO not optimal, but Hedman makes 1 3/4 tube shorties with 3" collector for S10. 1 1/2" just aren't big enough. 1 5/8 long tubes would be a good alternative for street if they fit your head ports.

Since I am in process of converting my S10 back to the street as my track has closed, I just took off 1 3/4 fenderwell headers and am going back to 1 3/4 (this time) Hedman shorties for my 383 because 1 5/8" flanges on long tube s10 headers simply do not match big square AFR exhaust ports. I cut off the stupid outlet flanges for the 3" collectors and sourced 3" 45 degree bends to extend the shorties to under the vehicle by welding them on. Also beveled the width of the port flanges to match the AFR exhaust ports. YES i KNOW THAT DOESN'T FIX REVERSION. But it does fix the stupid flange bolts that are always coming loose and leaking, and gets the headers inside the frame in 3" tubes. Yes, i did have to trim the TH350 transmission just a bit to clear the 3" tubes. I figure with (going back to) a milder cam and full exhaust it shouldn't make a huge difference in power. I only gained 0.25sec (about 25 hp) when going from 1.5" shorties and full exhaust to open fenderwell headers. Now I go backwards. I guarantee it will still roast street tires at will in any gear.

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
Finally found the difference between 2015 shorty headers/full exhaust and 2016 with open fenderwell headers installed over the Winter. 2015 was generally 11.75 sec/112 mph 2016 was 11.5 sec/115 mph. Vehicle weight is 3220 with me and 1/2 tank of fuel. Stuff the info into a calculator and relative difference in horsepower should have been around only 30 hp. Of course weather conditions can also affect. Only other difference for power was the fuel system. Went from an old 2-corner Holley 830cfm double pumper hooked up to a stock tank, to a Quick Fuel SS 830cfm double pumper and fuel cell with Holley blue pump/regulator.

Eventually made it to 10.85/122 mph last year with same engine but over the years it took a Crower 00307 solid flat tappet cam, electric water pump, electric fan, Vic Jr., a custom torque converter, Coan trans with brake, crank trigger / Daytona Sensors box, custom fabricated air pan, spool and c-clip eliminators, and an all-day session on a dyno ($$$$) to tune carb/timing. Now I need to take most of my good go-extra-fast stuff back off to drive it on the street. Unfortunately I got rid of most everything to put it back - sold or threw away.

One consolation though - I finally did make my goal of running tens. Unfortunately I was just starting to graduate to making the vehicle and my driving consistent (instead of faster) when the track closed this year. I did get a bye run several times last year for best reaction time in modified eliminator - but sadly inconsistent and never made it past 4th round. Was ready to sell it, but wife talked me into putting it back on the street irregardless of the cost. She really hates to get rid of stuff we have had for a long time and was a pretty big drag race fan - at the strip nearly each time taking video of my runs. Good for me, I suppose - in more ways than one!

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
Balzer tats a good woman. Having a car with 500 rwhp is more than a fun ride. Tuning out 100 hp is as simple as changing the headers and pull the timing
Yes on the good woman!! But never got to 500 RWH - max on the dyno was about 445 rwh, corrected. Getting good exhaust on a street S10 is always a big challenge. I had an interim solution for the fenderwell headers that cost me a chunk of change, but still couldn't turn the dang front wheels so forget any kind of easy parking. Finally pulled off the custom collectors and full exhaust to save weight, bought new collectors, put a roll bar in, said it was a race car, and just turned the exhaust out behind the front wheel. Here's it with the Fenderwells and full exhaust before that point. First photo is electroless nickel plating after all fitting was done. Also in process was remounting the engine properly after putting a proper Moroso swap pan and windage tray on it - then the trans tail shaft doesn't point at the ground and headers fit like designed. Furthermore you won't have to beat up your firewall for trans or shorty header clearance. Last two photos are how it came when I bought it. I first changed to new 1.5" Hedman shorties and the Summit exhaust kit for them. Then later the fenderwells.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
What would be the better choice for typical street rod use?
Typical street rod use I would run 2.5" corvette ramhorn manifolds. Your going to loose some top end not running long tubes. But under 4000 the corvette manifolds can flow numbers that may surprise. If you had no overdrive and gearing in the 4's then that might change things.

But with overdrive how much do you plan on going over 4000rpm?

You may hold 2nd or 3rd and get the thing up into the 5500 range. But I imagine this is not going to be that often on a street driven ride.

So check to make sure they will work with your heads then find yourself some speedway manifolds. Smooth them out after watching some videos/forums and enjoy easily changing your plugs, easily pull your engine with the manifolds attached, and easily clear most low obstacles.

Someone on here will have flow numbers somewhere.

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
Looking for guidance on selecting headers for new Blueprint 383 stroker for 39 Ford resto mod project. The engine is paired with a 700r4 trans on. TCI 4 link chassis. The engine was dyno’d at 473hp. I have located 1 1/2” long tube headers that will fit the chassis or another option is 1 5/8” shorty headers. Either will be linked to 2 1/2” exhaust. What would be the better choice for typical street rod use?
Depends on how much you are willing to give up of that 473 hp. Sounds like your engine is overbuilt for the exhaust you are planning on. Do either headers you mention fit your head ports well? What heads?

1.5" tubes are usually round port. 1 5/8 tubes are typically D-port. 1 3/4 tubes are typically rectangular port. I actually had trouble getting a gasket to seal when using AFR 195 heads and 1.5" tube headers. You can almost stick a 1.5" tube inside the port if the flange isn't there.

Maybe the Corvette manifolds might match your heads better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.