Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built up a 383 stroker and was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the horsepower of it all I have is the specs of the engine I don’t have 1/4 mile times or top speed as it is not currently in a car any help would be greatly appreciated I think it has around about 450hp but I would like more opinions.

Engine specs:
Block: .030 over 350 stock deck
Crank: pbm cast 7000 series 3.750 stroke
Pistons: Flattop 2 valve reliefs equal 5cc
Rods: 5.7 floating wrist pin
Heads: aluminum as cast 210cc int. runner 80cc exh. runner 64cc chambers, 2.02 int. valves, 1.6 exh. valves
Camshaft: Erson street fighter .465 int. .488 exh. Lift, adv duration 290/300 duration @ .050 224/234 5 degrees adv.
Intake: Edelbrock torker
Carb: Holley 750 vacuum secondary
Ignition: HEI 65,000 volt coil mechanical adv.
Compression ratio: 10.62:1
Ignition timing: 12 degrees btdc 36 total
If you need to know more specs let me know I’m sure i can figure it out. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,896 Posts
Whose heads not all manufactures flow the same for equal port volumes. A set of AFRs will deliver different power not only in peaks but also the spaces in between compared to say a set of ProComps.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,640 Posts
Somewhere between 375 and 400 HP. Heads, intake, and cam are all not enough for 450 HP.

Torker II is one of the worst intakes ever made, its sole reason for existence is Edelbrock wanted a low height single plane low enough to fit under the hood of a 70's Corvette or Camaro. This info was posted some time back by a former engineer who was employed at Edelbrock during that time. A Performer RPM or a Victor Jr would be much better.

Cam needs another 10° duration @.050" and .040-.060" more lift.

Heads need a bunch of port work to be as good as AFR or ProFiler

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somewhere between 375 and 400 HP. Heads, intake, and cam are all not enough for 450 HP.

Torker II is one of the worst intakes ever made, its sole reason for existence is Edelbrock wanted a low height single plane low enough to fit under the hood of a 70's Corvette or Camaro. This info was posted some time back by a former engineer who was employed at Edelbrock during that time. A Performer RPM or a Victor Jr would be much better.

Cam needs another 10° duration @.050" and .040-.060" more lift.

Heads need a bunch of port work to be as good as AFR or ProFiler
Mines not the Torker II but I’m sure they’re both the same. What can would you recommend? I know the victor jr would feed the engine quite a bit that’s what I originally wanted to go with but it was sort of a budget built 383 and the Torker was there and I’ll soon be switching the cam to a retro fit roller so if you have any suggestions on a cam that would work great with the victor jr I’d appreciate it. The plans for this engine is I’m putting it into a 86 El Camino with a th350 and 4.11 gears

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
If you were to get a dual plane intake such as the edelbrock performer rpm or the weiand speed warrior 8150 and then get a hydraulic roller cam with at least 500 lift or more and at least [email protected] 50 or more then 450 horsepower would be pretty easy with your combo.Right now your intake and cam are the weak link in your build but other then those two things it seems pretty good for a match.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,497 Posts
Unless you need exactly 450 HP to win races or something, you will prolly be perfectly happy with your current setup... I'd estimate you have up to 425 HP... It will seem very fast... 12's in 1/4 properly tuned(carb. jetting, headers, true dual exhaust)... and that cam size is very tractable for daily driving... bigger cams need 3000+ RPMs for the engine to start pulling... hurt MPG...

Might have gone with 1.6 rocker arm ratio to add lift... or maybe you already have that...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g6801

Do you know if pistons are at or within .025" from block deck? Head gasket thickness?

Dyno comparison: Torker vs Performer, Performer RPM Air Gap, etc.:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0108-dyno-testing-small-block-intakes

Porting those ProComp heads could add power:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless you need exactly 450 HP to win races or something, you will prolly be perfectly happy with your current setup... I'd estimate you have up to 425 HP... It will seem very fast... 12's in 1/4 properly tuned(carb. jetting, headers, true dual exhaust)... and that cam size is very tractable for daily driving... bigger cams need 3000+ RPMs for the engine to start pulling... hurt MPG...

Might have gone with 1.6 rocker arm ratio to add lift... or maybe you already have that...

Do you know if pistons are at or within .025" from block deck? Head gasket thickness?
Yeah my deck height is .025 for all cylinders my head gasket thickness compressed is .039 and I currently have comp cams magnum roller tip 1.5 rockers I’m wanting to go to 1.6 roller rockers but it being cold out and money issues that’s gonna be a summer thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
7,497 Posts
You could try it with the head gasket you have, but if having detonation/spark knock/pinging issues, could go thinner...

In the same vein, any razor sharp edges in the combustion chambers of the heads should have been rounded over as they will glow red hot when the engine is running and diesel-engine-like pre-ignite the fuel/air mix too early...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could try it with the head gasket you have, but if having detonation/spark knock/pinging issues, could go thinner...

In the same vein, any razor sharp edges in the combustion chambers of the heads should have been rounded over as they will glow red hot when the engine is running and diesel-engine-like pre-ignite the fuel/air mix too early...
It doesn’t have issues with spark knock or anything. I’ve run it on the stand and I ran it with exactly what I was using in the car like the same headers, same carb, and same ignition everything like that and it runs great other then it loads up if you let it idle for a while. I also didn’t rev it a whole lot because it was picking up one corner of the stand I didn’t want the engine to fall over. Lol
I do run 93 octane fuel in it also. When I first fired it up it did have a spark knock but the timing was also set to 20 degrees btdc and was at like 40 something.

·
7,497 Posts
Pinging in a properly tuned/timed engine usually happens in a warm to hot engine when accelerating hard at low to mid RPMs... not really noticeable on an engine stand with no load on the engine...

Ditto for vacuum secondary carb.s, the secondaries don't normally open when the engine isn't under load out on the road... if they do, then prolly adjusted too loosely... which causes a power 'bog' when driving...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pinging in a properly tuned/timed engine usually happens in a warm to hot engine when accelerating hard at low to mid RPMs... not really noticeable on an engine stand with no load on the engine...

Ditto for vacuum secondary carb.s, the secondaries don't normally open when the engine isn't under load out on the road... if they do, then prolly adjusted too loosely... which causes a power 'bog' when driving...
So I really won’t know until engine is in the car and driving but what you’re saying is that if I install into the car and there’s no spark knock or pinging then the quench is fine where it’s at or would I still need to change that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is my first stroker engine. I’ve built quite a few 355s that made about 375hp for people around me. This is obviously gonna be in my own car and the only drag tracks around me are 1/8th mile so I’ll never really know the 1/4 mile times. Right now the el Camino has 3.08 gears which would be good for strictly street but I do also want to run it on the track. I thought about going 3.73 or 4.11. Those 2 gears would still give me the street ability to classify as a street car without turning the engine 6,000 rpm @ 60mph on the highway.

·
7,497 Posts
Remember, a particular cam and set of heads makes about the same HP no matter how many cubes are under it... more cubes gives more low and mid RPMs torque...

The auto makers have everyone thinking more cubes --> more HP... but most don't realize they also went with bigger heads and cams... 4 bbl. carb.s make more HP than 2 bbl. carb.s... but that's because the 2 bbl. wasn't big enough to max out most V8 engines...

If you study the graphs in this video, you will notice the smaller engine actually makes more torque than the larger engine at the top RPMs... not much difference HP-wise:

Yeah, 5.38 gears might be ideal for 1/8th mile only, but no fun on the street for daily driving...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remember, a particular cam and set of heads makes about the same HP no matter how many cubes are under it... more cubes gives more low and mid RPMs torque...

The auto makers have everyone thinking more cubes --> more HP... but most don't realize they also went with bigger heads and cams... 4 bbl. carb.s make more HP than 2 bbl. carb.s... but that's because the 2 bbl. wasn't big enough to max out most V8 engines...

If you study the graphs in this video, you will notice the smaller engine actually makes more torque than the larger engine at the top RPMs... not much difference HP-wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBs_QB6ubI

Yeah, 5.38 gears might be ideal for 1/8th mile only, but no fun on the street for daily driving...
What do you think my torque rating is at because a stroker is what I’ve heard people say a “torque monster” so what do you think the around about torque is of my engine?

·
7,497 Posts
Torque is likely about 450 - 480 lb.-ft. at the peak... which would be about 3600 - 4000 RPMs...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts