Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
383 noise

Everything is stock,I feal it the most when I have my hand on the oil pan.Is their something to change on my part that I missed.89 chevy van with a 305, bought a new oil pan and valve covers and used the 305 timing cover.They sent the oil pump flex plate and balancer.thanx for the reply never been on a foram before.No gears for timing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used some parts off the 305,what I ment was the 383 is all stock, did,nt do any extras on it.Sorry not to good with words.I spent alot of time and money and just alittle diapointed.

·
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven
251 Posts
I used a stock pan on my 383 and the crank was rubbing the pan, and wore out a spot weld on the baffle and let go. then made a loud tin knocking sound, when you put you hand on the pan with it running it would change tones. Might be something to check out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
383 noise

could be alot of things but first would be the increase in stroke on the inside oil pan edge, this needs to be checked on any engine,the noise would sond diff depending on how much it hits unlikly but a slight hit could be more of a scrape sound,more info and you will get some good advice. ron

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
engine noise...........

use a stetroscope(spelling) or stick the handle of a long screwdriver in your ear (NO,not the pointed end) and put the other end along the oil pan,you should be able to determine almost exactly where the noise is coming from. then let us know your results...WE CAN NOT HAVE TOO MUCH INFO...im boatbob2

·
Registered
8 Posts
hitting oil pan 383c. i.chev

not all pans are created equal,many diff ones for dif gm models, my 383 hit on one small spot so i took it to the anvil and fixed it-- 2 min job,BUt i checked this on the motor stand dry w 4 -6 bolts in place, ah yes forethought is great, someone should have told you. So now what? well find the easiest way to compare yours to others etc. new or junk yard, im assuming that ball peen job wont work, this time put it together w radio shack magnets on pan bottom in or outside and on your oil filter which you need to change 2-3 xs right after break in,how did you break it in at 2200 rpm for 20 minw the bad noise?? hope this helps ron

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
My 383 had the same problem. I caught it on the engine stand, and was able to dent the pan with a ball peen in just a few minutes. At least you know where to dent it at. It should not take much for it to clear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took a hammer and a large round punch to all six spots,put it back on and it purrs like a kitten.Just got some miner ajustments to make and that should be it.THANKS ALOT GUYS CHECK YOU LATTER...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.