Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 El Camino with a mild 383. I have been having issues with the carb (600cfm Holly) perculating and the engine makes a ticking sound when accelerating or under load. Well the other day i was driving down the road about 55mph and running about 2500RPM and 160 degrees. I also just filled it up with 100 octane, i know that was a mistake. The engine started making a slapping sound so i shut it off immediatly and pull to the side of the road to check things out. After a few minutes of looking around i get back in the car, turn the key, and the engine would not turn over. What would cause it to lock up like that?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Well one reason if the gas was perculating. After you shut it down the gas drains out of the carburetor into the intake manifold then down into the cylinders. This washes all the oil from the cylinder walls into the oil pan. Dry starts not good for pistons and rings. Gas mixing with the oil is not good either. You might want to pull the spark plugs and squirt some motor oil mixed with some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders and let it sit. Maybe the next day you can try turning the engine over with a breaker bar and socket. Jegs, Edelbrock, Mr. Gasket, Holley all make a heat shield that goes under the carburetor. Sounds like the engine has to come out to be taken apart to see what exactly happened.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
like mentioned,turn the engine over with the plugs out.If the starter doesnt work,try a breaker bar.If it does not turn over with the bar,oops. seized maybe.Ive had it happen,chaned the starter,boosted the battery then went back to step 1,,,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.