Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, about ten days ago i bought a hotrod 89, Z28. my dog has been sick and i haven't been able to work on it but this eve i added some fresh premium, cleaned the plugs, charged the battery, added some power steering fluid, filled the tires, fixed the gas leak and fired it up. the lifters need adjustment but that's no big deal.... so i took it for a slightly illegal spin around the block to see what it would do. it's missing a little so i floored it and it bogged and then it took off. it burned the tires for about 70'. i think it has a posi rear because it bit well with both tires. i did it again just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke and sure enough, the thing really moves and sounds great. it tachs up fast too.... i'll upload a video soon. so here's my question; the car pulls so strong that i'm wondering if it's a 383 stroker. how do i determine if this 350 has a 400 crank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thanks for the replies. i may have to pull the oil pan and measure the stroke. but i've never felt a 350 pull like this from the dig. it sounds great and instantly tachs up. i was afraid that a neighbor would call the cops so i brought it home. it's got an electric header dump but it really doesn't need it... i'll take a video of this car running and up the link. tomorrow my dog goes under the knife though so that's my main concern. can't really concentrate on anything but getting him better......

·
Registered
878 Posts
If a cast crank was used, and it IS a '383", the balancer will have "weight" in it. That is, it will have additional material on one side OR material removed. The flexplate/flywheel will also have "weight" on one side. Early 350s are "internally" balanced and therefore will have no obvious "weight" in either.

If a forging was used, it's probably been internally balanced and will use the same balancer and flexplate/flywheel as pre-1 pc. seal 350s. In that case, the stroke will tell the "tale".

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.