Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question for you guys to help me with. I have a 350 with all the machine work done sitting in my garage, and i am planning to buy a 400 with all the machine work done from a guy i know. My question is what would be better for the street, this is going in a 1991 s-10. I could put the 350 crank in the 400, but i am kinda shady on using the bearing spacers. Has anybody used these spacers, and how good do they hold up?
Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
the 383 stroker is a wise choice, but if you are going to be driving the truck everyday, may be a little too much. the 400 will rn a lot hotter than the 350, but ca be componsated with electric fans and bigger aluminum radiators.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
well there ate two ways of building a 383, 400 block with 350 crank,

and secondly using 350 block bored .030 with a 400 crank.

in my opinnion the latter is the choice for you as the motor would be more tourkey and makeing power lower in the rpm range, it is a street car remember?.

just be sure that you upgrade your heads ie. Dart II's or motown 220 thats where your power is going to come from..

And if you atre all gung ho about power, a procharger for a carburated chev runs you arround 3Grand all total. and it will double!! your horsepower on that 350. and with 550/600 hp you better start adding a cage, upgraded tranny, rear etc etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what is cheaper on the 383, putting a 350 crank in a 400 or putting a 400 crank in a 350? I wanna do things right and just curious which is stronger and which one is cheaper i am thinking that if you put the 350 crank in the 400 you wouldn't have to buy an externally balanced balancer and flexplate. And what is the difference on the two motors making a 383
thanks again

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would save the money on putting together the stroker and just put together the 350. You could sell the 400 off and finance the deal for the 350. Just my take.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Okay we are not talking about a 383 and a 400 here. It is 377 and 400. Big Differance. The 377 is a destroked application. Usually to better the rod angle and increase the RPM capability of the engine. For the street low end torque is king. The longer stroke 400 will feel stronger because it will make better low end torque.

Chris

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I just read the mowtown 220 statement. On the street you dont want these. The big ports will kill velocity and low end torque. A small runner head will be better.

Chris

·
Registered
517 Posts
What do you want the motor to do? If you want to circle track race your S-10 for the weekend (this will be its last recorded use), then the 377 would be just fine. If you didn't have the 400, it would be easy to build a very nice 383 for about $500 more than a box stock 350. It will make lots of torque and very good power.

But since you want the 400, then just build a 400 (406 at .030 over bore). It can run as cool in an S-10 as it did in the pickups that most of them came in. It can have more torque and more power than the 383.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drove a 377 on the street for 2 years as a daily driver, loved it. I broke all the so called rules, ran a single plane, 250+ duration solid cam, solid engine mounts, 4.56 gears and a 2,200 and 3,500 stall converter and nitrous. the car would rev to the sky and even with the little converter it would blow the tires away no matter how slowly i got into the throttle. i loved that engine, sold it only to build a twin turbo engine, thats my story
Grant J Farmer

·
Registered
148 Posts
i am going to buy a new 3.75 crank and it could go in either one. It would be a daily driver with some ocasional off roading, and i have a brand new 4 core radiator. oh and another question how much would a 400 block be worth? and its stock crank?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts