Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Worried about the crank?? As strong as any other GM SBC casting.

The problem with the 400 crank is that by the time you pay to have it checked and the mains ground. You can buy a stronger cast crank from the aftermkt.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Can't help you there . I get almost that much for basic machining of the block! Check around for bargains. Ebay, Craigslist, Racing junk. Just be careful and don't believe all the stories told by sellers!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
kevin383 said:
thank you is there any possible way you can tell me how to squeez evey oz of hp out of it with out spending a lot of money price range about $700
Preping the block for a stroker, using a cast steel crank and hyper pistons plus a new timing set, gaskets, etc., will be over your budget

Stroker needs bigger than stock heads, new cam, bigger exhaust system, if you want to make any kind of power.

Do what your buddies at the drive in do, lie about what you got!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't break the bank building a Chevy 383 Small-Block Stroker Engine.
You need to check out this website. (http://www.superchevy.com/technical...0706_small_block_chevy_stroker_kit/index.html) If you have a 350 Block 0.030 overbore, You in business. Powerhouse's basic 383 stroker kit for two-piece rear main seal blocks retails for $499, and for that price, You get a brand-new crank, Full set of pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and gaskets. For $199 on top of that, Powerhouse includes a balancer and flex plate, You also can add $45 for tougher "CR3" rods with ARP bolts, bringing a total to $743. There’s Your Budget…..Need to check it out. If you have any Questions E-Mail me at [email protected] Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
PapaG.......For what its worth I've never heard of nor seen a stock factory 400 forged crank. I know that Joe Sherman built some god-awful screaming 406 Chevys and he used WELL PREPPED 400 cast cranks. Do you have a casting number for the this part?? The only casting number I found for '70-'80 400 sbc was 3951529 and it was a cast crank.

·
Registered
366 Posts
NEW942004 said:
Don't break the bank building a Chevy 383 Small-Block Stroker Engine.
You need to check out this website. (http://www.superchevy.com/technical...0706_small_block_chevy_stroker_kit/index.html) If you have a 350 Block 0.030 overbore, You in business. Powerhouse's basic 383 stroker kit for two-piece rear main seal blocks retails for $499, and for that price, You get a brand-new crank, Full set of pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and gaskets. For $199 on top of that, Powerhouse includes a balancer and flex plate, You also can add $45 for tougher "CR3" rods with ARP bolts, bringing a total to $743. There’s Your Budget…..Need to check it out. If you have any Questions E-Mail me at [email protected] Good Luck.
According to his posts, he does not have a 0.030 bore block.

Who makes the parts in the kit you recommended?

·
Registered
366 Posts
NEW942004 said:
Well, What dose kevin383 have then, smarty
If you are asking me, look at his posts before you open your mouth:

"i want to build a 383 but im worried about the 400 crank can you help me with this"

"ok thanks i have another question how far can i boar it out to and is there an engine kit you recommend?"

He appears to have a stock 350, unless he answered otherwise. I could not find any reference.

Did YOU build a stroker using the kit you recommended? If so, who makes the parts in the kit you recommended?

I didn't like the 'smarty' reference. If you are going to call someone out, at least have some facts to back up what you post. Oh, I forgot, this is the internet and no facts needed. Anybody can post anything without proof and/or experience.

BTW, Powerhouse is proud that they use ARP bolts/studs on their con rods, they mention this in their ad, but don't say whose rods, piston, etc., they use. Seems like a real class act, IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
YOU MENTION…

“Do what your buddies at the drive in do, lie about what you got!”

“Look at that Super Chevy article.

The stroker kit mentioned=$743
The machine shop work on a stock 350 block=$514.

Total of $1257 without cam, heads, exhaust.

Does this tell you something??”

AND YOU “glen242” GET ALL UPSET AT ME CALLING YOU “SMARTY”? Well, sorry if I hurt you Feelings glen242, IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE AN ATTITUDE, MAYBE I WOULDN’T CALL YOU SMARTY…Back to the Forum, Why would you tell someone to lie about what they have under the hood? I believe Kevin383 is finding out what his budget could get him, so I suggested PowerHouse… I’m sure there’s probable a cheaper kit out there made with china parts. Anyone could spend up to $7000 on a decent 383 Stroker. Correct me if I’m wrong, Because I don’t know everything. Some of the parts used in the kit I had mentioned: If YOU would have just read the Add... “glen242”.. like you told me."look at his posts before you open your mouth" on the #17 Post Rply

PROBE Flat Top Pistons
PROBE Recess
MOLY Ring Set
CLEVITE Chamfered Rod/Main Bearings
FEL PRO Gasket Set

And I can’t forget to mention, Yes, I have Built the Shoestring Stroker with the PowerHouse Kit. It ran for 4 months when I drove it, and sold it. I drove it Hard. The kid I had sold it to put it in a 72 comaro and Totaled the car. He had drove it harder. Tried to buy it back, but the owner wanted to keep it. He said, “I had so much Fun with that smallBlock, I need to drop it in my new car.” The engine never left his garage.

Any questions glen242?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
realistically you can't build a reliable 383 that gives you decent power for much less than 3 grand, I'm sure everyone has exammples but the average low buck build is going to cost you around $3,000, and that is with some parts being used and a decent core to start with.

If all you have is $700 then I recomend finding a good set of used heads and a mild cam swap, but that will probably still come in a hair over $700. $700 isn't much to work with on an engine, some people spend more than that on just bolts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.