Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm about to get my first truck, a 1970 Custom Camper c20, and it has a 396/402 that has a rebuilt and tuned rochester quadrajet, what appears to be an Edelbrock dual plane intake, port and polished heads and dual turbo thrush exhaust. I plan on getting these headers Summit Racing® Headers SUM-G9011 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing along with dual flowmaster super 40/44's. Beyond that I don't really have a plan for cheap power adders beyond a slightly better air cleaner which is mostly for looks. So I was just wondering, any tips for cheap power? I'm only 17 and still learning lol. Also, sorry for the lack of detailed information on what's done to it, those upgrades were done 20+ years ago.

Any and all information is appreciated :evil:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Wrap them also to get as much heat out of the engine bay as possible. Make sure you get them supported properly. You do not want anything pulling or pushing on them or you'll be experiencing a bunch of cracks and or leaks. I'd also recommend leaving the header gaskets in the box and using orange hi-temp silicone - never leak!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrap them also to get as much heat out of the engine bay as possible. Make sure you get them supported properly. You do not want anything pulling or pushing on them or you'll be experiencing a bunch of cracks and or leaks. I'd also recommend leaving the header gaskets in the box and using orange hi-temp silicone - never leak!
Alright, thanks :) I was thinking about wrapping them, but I hadn't thought of the silicone instead of conventional gaskets but it sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Big-blocks love headers and cams, and a good (HEI) ignition system. I would find out what cam is in there (you can measure lift at the valve then cross-reference to likely part numbers), maybe it already has something a little hotter than stock. If your use will include long periods of heavy throttle (steep hills, towing) do a little checking around before using header wraps (such as Exhaust Header Heat Wraps - Do Not Use )...light around-town use may be OK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big-blocks love headers and cams, and a good (HEI) ignition system. I would find out what cam is in there (you can measure lift at the valve then cross-reference to likely part numbers), maybe it already has something a little hotter than stock. If your use will include long periods of heavy throttle (steep hills, towing) do a little checking around before using header wraps (such as Exhaust Header Heat Wraps - Do Not Use )...light around-town use may be OK.

I was thinking about getting some type of MSD ignition, but that isn't exactly very cheap. I know it'sseffective, my dad had it on the 350 in his 79' truck and it helped, then when he got his 305 77' El Camino it made it run it bit better ... Maybe that would be a good christmas present haha. And I don't plan on using it to haul anything besides me and some friends, but I know i'll be hotrodding it around a LOT, so I probably should research header wraps like you said. I guess i'll just have to get a job when I turn 18 and pay for my own parts that way. Oh, also, I doubt it has any aftermarket cam. I've started it up and it sounds exactly like you'd expect a stock cam to sound like, but it couldn't hurt to check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
70's Chevy Truck Engine Information Wanted

So I was just wondering, what years of Chevy truck came with a 400 small block stock and what years of truck came with a 396/402 stock? I know the 1970 model did, but there seems to be some confusion as to the 400 badge being used and the engine being listed as a "400 big block" (Even though it was really a 402 ... Thanks Chevy) along with how the 400 small block was introduced in late 1970 if I remember correctly.

This thread is more to help others than myself :evil:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh damn, I thought I started an entire new thread lol ... Sorry, I bet that seemed really out of place in this thread. Still getting used to this site.

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
dont recall ever seeing a 402 badge on anything. but i smoked alot of rope back in the day too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts