Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a chevy block at his wrecking yard. The # is 3970010 and he cant find any other #s. It is a target master motor but i cant beat the price. Can anyone tell me if the 3970010 target master motor came in different sizes or just the 350. Thanks. Cory.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
The 010 block has been in use since the late 60's

They were used for 302's, 327's and 350's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know this,im not going to use this for a builder.im just trying to find out what it is.i was hopeing that since it is a target master,maybe someone knew if it is currently a 350 or not.cory.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
There are no letters stamped into the pad at the front of the motor below the passenger side head?

·
Stroked Z28
230 Posts
^^^ +1. This could be a 2 bolt or 4 bolt motor. If the engine suffix numbers were decked off, pull the oil pan & have a look at bolts & stroke.

·
eat a beaver, save a tree
672 Posts
i have seen a couple 010 blocks turn out to be 307's. even a bare 307 block can be deceiving. the bore is pretty close to a 4.00" bore as far as just looking at them. the crank is the easiest way to tell (if it has one in it) if you don't want to pull the heads off.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Are you absolutely sure it's a Target engine? The vast majority of 3970010 blocks were 350s and many, many of them were put in pickups... Did you find the numbers engineczar was referring to?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Why do you keep refering to it as a "Target Master" ??, according to Mortec the target master/goodwrench blocks had a casting number of 10066036. And as Engineczar said they ONLY came in 302, 327, 350. If the block checks out ok at your machinist then build it, see www.Mortec.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts