Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
This is probably the cheesiest question you'll see all day!
I'm restoring an old Jag. Almost at the painting stage, so purchased two cans of 3M Schutz 08964 for the underbody. I thought it was an aerosol product ... turns out its a spray on product (as most of you will probably know!!)
So my options are a) buy the special spray gun from 3M (expensive). b) Cut open the cans and brush it on, c) buy an el cheap spray gun and try to maker it work. I won't be restoring another car after this Jag.
Any advice would b e appreciated.
See, I said it was cheesy (to say nothing of dumb!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am not a big fan of body schutz. It sprays well with the applicator gun but it hardens and water can get behind it and it will flake off. also does not get into cracks and inside the frame channels. The applicator gun should be cheap. It is just a siphon gun that screws on to the top of the schutz can.

I have used fluid film and it works well but never dries. I use the wand applicator and spray in all of the cavities. I spray it on and just let it drip. I have tried 3M wax coating which may be good but it only comes in the applicator cans and is expensive.

There is always old crankcase oil. The problem I have found is there is no one undercoating which does everything well. Some say automatic transmission fluid. When you find something that works well let me know. This seems to be the old age question.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use thick film. Spray it on and it will cover everything and migrate's into every crevice. Need's to be reapplyed about every 3 year's but is not to expensive.
I paid $8.00 a can for the spray can's at Lowe's.
Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts