Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 85 z28 with a 400 (406) csb with some modification (roller rockers, 327 double hump heads). im ready to throw out the aqful 2.73 gears, and im thinking some 3.42 would be good with the 700R4. What do you think?

And as for the carb, well right now its a quadra jet spread bore sitting on a holley street dominator square bore intake ( yeah its got one of those suck *** adapter plates). Does anyone know just how much of a difference changing the carb will make in power? any recommendations?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Save your money for fuel injection would be my only advice. 3.42 seems like a pretty good gear - what kind of rpm does your 400 top out at?

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
It kind of depends on what your going for. If its going to see the strip Id even go with 3.73 gears. Your lower first gear from that tranny will make them feel like 4.10s but your overdrive will still allow decent highway cruising.

I dont really deal much with carbs anymore so I dont really know what to recommend for your setup. Fuel injection would be a great addition. The Iroc with the TPI made something like 30-40 hp more compared to the z28 however with your 400 I really think youd like the added power and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel injection

hummm iv thought about fuel injection, but just how big of a job is that?

the car hard 3.73 once before, from the guy that owned the car last. He took them out, said he hated them, cause u couldnt use the 1st gear, i went to second as soon as u hit the gas, so i was afraid to go with a 3.73, but mabee thats just personal opinion, but i see on here that most ppl like to run 3.73.
well the car get kinda sick after about 4500 rpm (im guessing)
its definatley not a high reving car i can tell u that

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey use a 410 gear becouse if you use 373 you always wish you would have got 410s go with a performer rpm cam and you might want a 3000 to 3500 stall so it will idle nice around town

1 - 5 of 5 Posts