Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building a all drag s10 want to know if i can use the original driveshaft with the 350 or should i bolt in the all alum 4.1 caddy v8?

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Don't know...

never used one of those before. If your going to drag race don't skimp on your drive train...might come back to bite you on the butt or legs or back of the head. Have you ever seen a drive shaft come through the floor of a car when it rips in two? The safety loops only go so far to keep the broken ends out of the passenger compartment. I'd spend the $400 and get one made up custom, cut to length.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't know, sbc has cheaper, better, and more readily available parts, and has a vast knowledge base already out there for the conversion. Only experience I've had withe the 4.1/4.5/4.9 caddy motor is that they have a tendency to strip out the head bolt threads. The threads actually came with the bolt when the heads where pulled. About a $350 job just to get em all helicoiled. But this is my only experience with the motor, there are others that are bound to have better experience with em. As for me, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot cattle prod. Best of luck!:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
The 4.1 is known as the worst engine ever put in a Cadillac. They have leak, head gasket, cracked head, and crank problems. Virtually no aftermkt speed parts.. Most commercial rebuilders will not touch them. Unless the repair of a dozen or so factory flaws are included in the rebuild. The 4.9 is the best of the series. They finally learned how to produce that style V-8. At the previous buyers expense!!! No wonder Gm market share shrinks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
if you are gonna go caddy, go 472 or 500. There are one or two s-10s around with 500 caddy motors. But if you want something that is moderately easier, I would say go with the 350, tons of s10s been done up that way so the experience and knowledge is out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts