Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea how to get really rusty bolts out of exhaust manifolds one has been cut in to with a angle grinder I can't seem to get these out any ideas would be great it's in a Blazer so not much room Thanks

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
brian berwick said:
Any idea how to get really rusty bolts out of exhaust manifolds one has been cut in to with a angle grinder I can't seem to get these out any ideas would be great it's in a Blazer so not much room Thanks
Are you trying to remove the manifolds from the engine or removing the exhaust from the manifolds?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
brian berwick said:
Trying to get the manifolds off motor there so rusty on just drivers side just trying to take it out
Hit it w/some PB Blaster brand penetrant. A lot of the stiction is coming from the heads rusted to the manifold and this will take care of that, leaving you with whatever the threads into the head can dish out.

The bolt heads are prolly undersize from the rusting, and if they're buggered up from a 12-point attempt, etc., the trick is gonna be to gain a good enough purchase to turn the damn things.

I'd suggest investing in a set similar to either of the two shown. The difference is in the flutes but I've had success w/both types. These sockets can be hammered onto the head to seat them, then turn w/your favorite equalizer. The rapping on the bolt heads also serves to break them loose, too.

I like to use them w/a hella strong 1/2" air ratchet I have- it's almost an impact wrench.

Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.