Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I tried searching like crazy to answer this question but i had no luck.

My buddy is giving me a 4.3V8 out of a 1996 Caprice that i plan to use in my 1951 Ford. The question is: Can the 4.3 be stroked to a 5 liter? He said it could but didnt have the details. Is this correct and if so is it worth doing, i.e. horsepower gain vs cost, what combo crank/rods used, etc. or is it best to just swap in the 350 later? Thanks for any help!

Ron

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Well, yes and no.

The 4.3 (262) uses the tiniest bore GM ever put in a small block at 3.671". The valves in the heads are therefore pathetically tiny. You could put a 3.48" stroke crank in it from an LT1 or any one-piece rear SBC and that would get you 295 cubes, but that motor just will never breathe or make decent power.

Think of it this way; the 305's bore is 3.735" and its pathetically tiny. I tell 305 modders that even though the 305 is 87% the size, it doesn't have 87% the potential because of those small bores. The key to power is breathing and piston surface area. The key to torque is cylinder volume and stroke. Either way, that means big bores and big strokes... which means big cubes. So I tell you (even more than I tell the 305 guys) that your money will not produce good results on that motor.

The amount of money you'll spend in machine work and parts will be probably double the cost of just buying an LT1 in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the type of stuff I need to know! I know nothing about that motor and didnt want to go down the wrong path with it. Thanks for the insight, it helps tons!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
The L99 isn't a bad motor, but if it's power you're after I'd just get a LT1 in the first place. You'll need to adapt in a PCM in either case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, looks like he wants $500 for the whole thing. It has pretty much been converted to run stand alone in a 4x4 buggy, harness has been modified, has all the accessories, etc. By the sounds of it, it may be better to go true 350 for a bit more. I'm not looking for lots-o-power, the car currently has the flathead.......a whopping 90hp max...........so anything is an upgrade but I would rather get some bang for the buck ya know.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
this was known as the baby LT1, it has the same bore and stroke as the original 265 released in 1955 of 3.750 X 3.000, it also differs because it has 5.94 rods instead of 5.7 rods. This engine was used successfully in the caprice line in 1995 and 1996. In most cases, nobody hot rods it, simply because of it`s small displacement, the thing being why pay more for less cubic inches? However, if you dicide to do else with it, if you would like to sell the 5.94 PM rods in it, send me a privite message.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, this will really help out when deciding what to get! I guess it was too good to be true.

later

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
Sounds like maybe your buddy is looking for more power for his buggy and has realized that the little motor is not a good platform to put money into.

·
Newskool
246 Posts
I tell quite a few people this but its the truth. Go buy a decent 350 block, put an aftermarket intake on it and an edelbrock carb. That way you set it up and it works great year round. The only time you have to pop the hood is to check your fluid levels.

Plus a near stock 350 has all the power you really need.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
Is this some updated version of the 262 used in 75 or so in Novas and other cars as a CAFE standards engine.
Nope, its the baby LT1. Externally indistiguishable from a regular LT1; reverse flow cooling, Optispark, EFI, everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts