Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im thinking of putting my fwd 4.5L caddy motor in a rwd car.

Any one know if its been done??

Now im talking about taking the motor, computer, and most anything hooked to the motor - ie: alt, p/s, a/c.

I have an automotive background so puter and wiring comes easy, but what about other stuff, will the flexplate hook up to my 200r4(rwd) tranny, and so on.

Any input would be awesome.

And u can say im crazy for wanting to do this, everybody ive talked to so far including chevy thinks i am.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
ive heard of them in a fiero; also n-stars in the fieros. never heard of them in a rwd app. i say go for it! :welcome:

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
I have a 4.9 which is the 4.5's big brother that I was going to swap into a GM W-body and while doing research I came across a website where a guy had swapped one into a 4WD. He had to fabricate mounts but IIRC it was a pretty easy swap. The 4.1/4.5/4.9 Cads have the same bellhousing pattern as the Chevy 2.8 V-6 and this guy used a 2.8 S-10 5-speed and transfer case. You have to get a custom flywheel to use a stick but those are available as the Fiero guys use the Getrag 5 speed transaxles behind them. A 700R4 or 5 speed from a 2.8 S-10 or Camaro would be a good trans choice. Google "V-8 Fiero", I think that's how I came across it.

Here's a good site for swap info for the older OHV Cad V-8's.

Fiero Addiction

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hippie said:
I have a 4.9 which is the 4.5's big brother that I was going to swap into a GM W-body and while doing research I came across a website where a guy had swapped one into a 4WD. He had to fabricate mounts but IIRC it was a pretty easy swap. The 4.1/4.5/4.9 Cads have the same bellhousing pattern as the Chevy 2.8 V-6 and this guy used a 2.8 S-10 5-speed and transfer case. You have to get a custom flywheel to use a stick but those are available as the Fiero guys use the Getrag 5 speed transaxles behind them. A 700R4 or 5 speed from a 2.8 S-10 or Camaro would be a good trans choice. Google "V-8 Fiero", I think that's how I came across it.

Here's a good site for swap info for the older OHV Cad V-8's.

Fiero Addiction
Lots of good info, but IIRC isnt one of the bolt holes in the trans diffrent than on the 4.5? I remember something about having to drill the block or just leave the bolt out? Just something I remember hearing but good luck.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
53_belair said:
Lots of good info, but IIRC isnt one of the bolt holes in the trans diffrent than on the 4.5? I remember something about having to drill the block or just leave the bolt out? Just something I remember hearing but good luck.

Don't recall that but could be. I know they use the same bellhousing pattern and transaxle as all the other V-6 FWD GM's from the 60 Deg. 2.8 through the 90 Deg. 3.8. They are only about 30 Lbs. heavier than a 2.8/3.1 and are actually lighter than the 3.4 DOHC. HP output is about the same as a Series I 3.8 but TQ is quite a bit more and except for goodies for the HEI distributor there is ZERO aftermarket for them. But if you have a good one and are feeling creative......... what the Heck?! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts