Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished installing my 4 bar rear w/coil overs. Question is: After setting up my wheels height to where I want them, my crossover bar which which extends from frame rail to frame rail, which my 4 bar is attached to is really to close to my driveline. I can shift my height and compromise my stance but I don't want to! Where my crossover is in the center at the half moon,(to allow clearance from driveline) what would be the best and easiest way so I can have alot more clearance? If I cut the center out (half moon) would this be strong enough to hold ea. side by itself? I'm thinking to notch it out (half moon) so it is still connected from frame rail to frame rail! Real Pain, Any suggestions would be great, Dana

Forgot, to ask , how much room should I have approx from driveline to crossover bar? Dana

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
You say this is a 4bar, so I'm assuming that it is, indeed, a 4bar and NOT a 4link and that this "crossover bar" is going to pick up the front brackets. If you have the bars angled up, from the rear, at an angle with a tangent equal to the CG height divided by the wheelbase (to eliminate squat or rise), I don't understand how you can be very close to the driveshaft.

But, to answer your question: No, it isn't necessary that you span the rails, but don't hesitate to add some additional bracing, forward of the bracket's mounting point and angled from the rail to the point at which you chopped the crossover bar (which should be as close as possible to the bracket's attachment point).

Again, don't hesitate to add a few more pounds of steel if it'll keep your ride safe!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
39chevy,

Always helpful if you could get a couple of pics and post them. Would that be possible? BillyShope and some of the other suspension gurus on the forum might have some better alternatives to suggest if they could see your entire setup. Plus the rest of us can learn a lot more if we can see exactly how you go about solving your problem.

Dewey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.