Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
there are hundreds of posts on this site about this exact thing

the 4416 heads are the good ones to modify and run with carb and camshaft ground for carb use. 4416 was basically the most common 1980-86 carb head out there on the 305 engines, trucks and cars both. should be able to get a pair for next to free because they are dirt common. i save any that i come across.

are not swirl port and probably wouldnt do as well with TBI or TPI camshaft, but would work

put bigger valves in and port intake runners and polish exhausts

lots more compression

easy

ive done it and run many this way

works well

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
yes have to have shop grind bigger seats into the heads

about 50 to 100 bucks

i have it done to them always so they will flow decently for a bigger engine

i always leave the exhausts alone

but it depends on just how big of an engine youre using them on.

if youre going with a huge SB then you would want to put in bigger exhausts and port the bowls and such...

or just get iron eagles or some other heads instead

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
That's just the going rates around here, but that's with cleaning and such. I figured $150 for a VJ is a fair price, even on the rare occasion where I do my own it take me some time to do it and my equipment is pretty bad (hence I rarely do my own).

for valves I would go with 1.94/1.5, maybe 1.6 if you feel like it but not really any need to. Stock 350 valves will work fine for the job. you can get a spring/valve set from competition products for like $125 I believe.

The important thing here is the port work, you need to spend some time on these heads cleaning them up. As cast they'll run out of steam before you hit 5000 RPM- which means no big hp numbers. a good port job goes a long way on these.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
2:73:1 ? You must have had a good 60ft time. I would have thought the trap speed would have been a little faster. Those rear gear's really held you back.
I'm comparing your's to mine back in 71, 14:90 @ 98mph with 2:87:1.
I'm thinking you had the muffler's on. My 60 ft sucked. I switched to 3:54:1
and knocked off almost .2 off the ET. The biggest problem was the boat anchor cast iron Borg warner tranny that came in the 71 Javelin's. AMC ended up changing to 727's from Chry. Too late for me. The car would have run a lot better at sea level, as Tuscon is higher altitude and conditions were less than good. (low humidity & warm air). :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm thinking the 60ft was 2.100. I shifted at 5000 and 5500rpm and the times stayed the same. I'm thinking the 305 heads ran out of steam at 5000. I didn't do any fine tuning and I was running thru a full exhaust. I installed 3.73's later on, but I ended up selling the car before I could race it again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trying to keep compression low enough to run on pump gas, 90-octane is the best I can get around here. Compression Ratio is something I still dont fully grasp. If I use stock 305 valves & dont port the heads with that raise or lower it?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
budgetbuilder said:
Trying to keep compression low enough to run on pump gas, 90-octane is the best I can get around here. Compression Ratio is something I still dont fully grasp. If I use stock 305 valves & dont port the heads with that raise or lower it?

raise it from the 350 heads. But if you deshroud the valves and use stock 350 low compression pistons your compression should be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.