Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I;m sure some of you will call me crazy, but I'd like to attept to install a four ling bar system using my original leaf springs. I think i'd have to install a front sway type shackle in addtion to the rear one to allow the springs the freedom they need to flex, but what other things do I need to look out for? Has anyine else attempted this?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I think a fellow woudl need to use what we call a bird cage in order to allow that to work..Bird cages allow the housing to rotate so the 4 bar does it job the way it is supposed to..

Sam

·
Old(s) Fart
5,649 Posts
Actually, the Mopar drag racers in the late 60s and early 70s used to do this. You need some sort of "slipper" mechanism between the housing and the spring. It isn't just rotation, the housing also needs to have the ability to slide forward and backward slightly relative to the spring also. You do not want to use shackles at both ends of the spring. If you do, the springs are not positively located front-to-back and can move in ways you don't intend. That will change the effective spring rate and defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do.

My feeble memory seems to recall that the Mopar Missile of the early 70s used an arrangement like this.

·
Registered
534 Posts
joe_padavano said:
Actually, the Mopar drag racers in the late 60s and early 70s used to do this. You need some sort of "slipper" mechanism between the housing and the spring. It isn't just rotation, the housing also needs to have the ability to slide forward and backward slightly relative to the spring also. You do not want to use shackles at both ends of the spring. If you do, the springs are not positively located front-to-back and can move in ways you don't intend. That will change the effective spring rate and defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do.

My feeble memory seems to recall that the Mopar Missile of the early 70s used an arrangement like this.
That was called "link leaf" and it was Don Carlton, dude was one sharp cookie! I think he got killed in a testing accident, with the "Motown Missle".
That system used the spring as one bar of the 4 link bars and a bar that was 20 inches long for the top bar.
There is a complete article on how to do it in the Mopar Direct Connection Performance Book (Chrysler Bible).

·
Old(s) Fart
5,649 Posts
dgcantrellsr said:
That was called "link leaf" and it was Don Carlton, dude was one sharp cookie! I think he got killed in a testing accident, with the "Motown Missle".

Actually, it was a Dodge Colt that killed him, not an E body. Summer 1977.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,771 Posts
The best way would be to use a four bar axle housing and just use the top two bars, similar to what dgcantrellsr described. The leaf springs would support the car and act as the lower links, the top two would prevent the axle from twisting. If angle out the top bars would also control side to side movement.

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
This idea (using the leaf as part of a multi-bar linkage) has been discussed in another thread here. When the rules might require such a trick (as with the Missile), it could be justified, but keep in mind that, since the leaf is still rigidly attached to the axle housing, spring wrap-up hasn't been totally eliminated. (Whoops! Joe_padavano's post indicates that they might have tried to eliminate that rigid connection.) Still, I would say it's better to simply toss the leaf springs and go to a 4link or, for the street, a 4bar. (For optimum adjustment, go to http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/id8.html ).

Just realized, there's also an active thread here where Magnante's 500 cube Chevette is being discussed. In that case, the front half of the leaf spring was used as what could be considered a ladder bar.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
dgcantrellsr said:
That system used the spring as one bar of the 4 link bars and a bar that was 20 inches long for the top bar.
There is a complete article on how to do it in the Mopar Direct Connection Performance Book (Chrysler Bible).
That is what Shelby did in 65 with the GT350. The 66 set up was actually better because the leaf spring was in tension not compression. It is ancient technology and not the best for planting the tires.

Here's the story on the Chevette. It is a version of the new kit Fatmans is selling for the Mustangs. Ancient technology from the 60s.
http://www.dieselchevettes.com/PDF/thebadseed.pdf

·
Registered
307 Posts
In the early 70s, NHRA required the stock springs in super stock. On my 68 Camaro I used a housing floater that let the axle housing rotate and move front to rear. I built my own floater and 4-link. The kit is still available from Competition Engineering.
Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your input. Sound like it would be simpler (and maybe cheaper) to switch it all out to coils and four link. Thanks again

·
Registered
307 Posts
fosterdl said:
Thank you all for your input. Sound like it would be simpler (and maybe cheaper) to switch it all out to coils and four link. Thanks again
That would be my choice. That spring slider will wear out very fast on the street.
Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts