Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cobralcon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a major issue with my 4 link on a '63 Falcon. The car is tilting to the driver's side about 2 to 3 inches.

Here's what has been done so far:

1. Replaced the shocks (HAL coil overs) with 2 steel rods of identical length. Car was absolutely perfect so eliminated the front end as causing problem.
2. Springs seemed weak and different, ordered two sets of new springs, 130 lb and 150 lb. Installed 150 lb and ended up with tilt again.
3. Something may be binding up but we can't seem to see it so far.
4. Car has been checked for not being bent or twisted. All measurements are fine as far as body/frame go.

Other than loading gun and deciding which to shoot, me or the car, has anyone come by this issue and figured out a solution. I'm just looking for things that are likely causing the problem at this point. I'll try and insert a few pics of the car with the tilt and then with the steel rods.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hal R

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Looks a LOT better with the paint :D :D

Just a inquiry ... what are you using for a reference point to measure off of. The frame or the body ??

A lot of vehicles actually do sitter a little higher on the right side. Just like most vehicles actually have more room on the right side for fender clearance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if this will help or not. But if you have rubber bushings in the front suspension you may want to loosen all the a-arm mounting points to relieve any potential installation preload (if you have urethane bushings then installation preload isn't an issue). If you have a front sway bar (from the looks of the build you probably wouldn't have) that can add to a potential front bushing preload issue. If none of that applies then you might consider the rods installed in the front only and your springs in the rear just to eliminate any front suspension concerns. You may also want to recheck to your 4 link to be sure it is in a neutral set up with no load. It's not likely you would have a suspension bind in a static or at rest stance. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but have experienced a similar situation with a race car and later on a street rod.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Whenever I have a tilting problem, I jack the car up at one end, in the exact center of the frame. If the car gets level, I know to look at the end I jacked up, if it still tilts, I look at the other end.

You can try swapping springs from one side to the other, that'll tell you if it's in the spring.

As stated by Highcrest1, make sure all your pivot points are loose, anything with rubber or urethane bushings should be tightened with the suspension loaded and at ride height, because tilting is one of the problems caused by tightening rubber bushed stuff up with no load on it. Heim type ends don't care when you tighten them.

I'll bet it's in the front.

Hope this helps,
mikey

·
Cobralcon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your inputs. I think we've got it solved but right now we need to get it off the lift and go for a little ride to see what happens. The 4 link is connected with heim joints so there is no issue with rubber causing binding. Also we won't have to wait to have the rubber bushings settle/work in so it will be right or else more work to do after the riding around.

As it sits at the moment it is level, couple of other unrelated things going on with the car will mean it will be a couple of days before we can test it out. Will post results and exactly what we had to do after ride.

Thanks again,

Hal R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.