Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finely got the carburetor tuned and new light weight mini starter and flexplate on took it to the drag strip. Well after driving 45 minutes back i heard my lifters chattering...so i thought they were loose from getting on it hard. It wasnt ...I was 3 quarts of oil low and just put new mobile 1 in it two weeks ago. Where the hell did the oil go? out the exhaust ? Through the oil filter with the higher engine compression? Can figure it out because underneath the car there is no oil drips puddles nothing? What happened? anyone? :evil:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and the oil is beat and thin and fairly black..the weight used was 10w 30 and i drained the oil and put in 10w 40 and the tapping is gone and all the power is there...dont understand.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
How many miles on the motor? "Thin/beat oil"? Sounds like you might have fuel in the oil, smell it...maybe over rich, which could account for the blackened oil if the rings aren't seated or are worn. Bad valve guides? It seems obvious you burned the oil in some way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes its still a little rich as i need a smaller squirter for my carburetor. I have this piece of junk demon that has taken weeks to get close to right. Now that i think about it the last two times i had it worked on it probably dumped a lot of gas in the oil. Would that have done it? Its a 750 and man it holds a ton of gas? The engine probably has less than 700 miles on it since build but sat around a few years after. Would the car running rich make it burn three quarts ? As you can tell im a lot ignorant to this big motor.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
pull the dipstick out and put a lighter to it. If it goes up in flames its got gas in the oil and gas gets in the oil one out of three ways. One way is the fuel pump is ruptured.
Number two is there's a hole in a piston, number three is the fuel pressure, float level, or trash in the needle and seats is causing massive flooding when you shut it down. If gas has gotten in the oil then you may as well rebuild it. In every case I've seen where major fuel got in the oil for a given duration of time the next thing to go is the rings because gas acts as a cleaning agent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i pulled the dipstick and lit it and no flames but i did add three quarts of the 10w 40 and drove it @ 7 miles ...so, whats the next step to take? I know its running rich because its breaking up a little smells rich and occasional backfire or small pop from the tailpipe. any help to make sure i dont kill the one good thing on this car would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.