Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys found a 4-speed manual at a junkyard and the yard owner tells me that he took it out of a chevy.But he doesnt remember which car.From what I have seen it is a 4-speed with a hurst shifter.I also got all the numbers off of it a could but I have searched everywhere and cant find anything.Or maybe Im just no good at decoding.If anyone can help it would be great because I really want to buy the transmission tomorrow.the numbers are cdj135079 14066494 2 25 c-15475 c-13550-1 09104 7a1492 Anyone have any idea what type of transmission this is?Muncie,Borg-warner,or Saginaw?Can you tell what ratios the gears are bye looking at these numbers?Please help anyone who knows im lost!Also he says he will let me have it for 200 dollars.Sound like a good price?

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I couldn't find any of those #s. But, as stated above, the Saginaw will be cast iron and have all 3 shifters will be in/on the side cover. $200 for a Saginaw is out and out robbery.

You want to make sure you're not buying some truck trans with a granny first gear.

You can get a close approximation of the first gear ratio by making a mark (I use red crayon) on the input and output shafts. Put the trans in first gear and rotate the input shaft until the output shaft makes one revolution. If it takes three revs of the input to make one rev of the output, the first gear is 3:1; 2 1/2 revs makes it 2.5:1, etc.

A 3:1 first gear is going to wind up REAL fast. You'll probably want something lower numerically.

Don't get in a hurry and later find you've got a boat anchor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.