Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i recently had one of the ears on my transmission welded back on from previous damage. Before I took it to have it welded, I took off the side cover to visually inspect the gears and internal parts. Although I am not an expert, everything seemed to be in good shape. However, once I took the cover off and held it upside down, there was a ball-bearing rolling around in the cover. It was about 1/4" in diameter, and my dad suspects its some sort of detent ball for the shift forks?! I really need to install this replacement tranny ASAP, if anyone has any exploded diagrams or general information as the where the bearing belongs I would highly appreciate it!!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
shifter

Usually there are spring loaded ball bearings that click into the notches in the inside of the shifter arms... some performance kits replaced the spring with a solid piece of rod. If you take off the outside lever you can remove the mechanism to the inside check to see if you have the pieces in the right place. I have seen diagrams of floor shift kits that had an exploded view of the trans. don't know where.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's probably the reverse detent ball. If the reverse lever is removed from the outside of the cover, the spring inside the detent hole will push on the lever, releasing the ball that's on top of the spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.