Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,
I'm the newbie on the block. I am in process of building a 40 Ford pickup.
I just remove the sheet metal and I might need a frame. Does anyone know of one that is available?

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey John
I LOVE 40s trucks. Here's my 2 cents....
If your frame is beyond repair, I would search for another. Ebay, craigslist, google 40s parts ect. A frame was designed for it's mate. Although "frame swaps" will eventually work, try require a ton of mods. That's my first choice. Second choice is have a frame specifically made for your truck. I'm a purest I guess, but I also look at resale years down the road. To me (not to offend anyone) I would be more interested in a truck with original frame even modded with m2 suspension ect. Welcome to the forum.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
Welcome to the forum John. You did not mention what part of the country you are in when you introduced yourself. It would not be practical to ship a frame across country. Where are you located?

John L

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oops! Sorry I didn't read ur post right! You are looking for a frame. I was reading on my phone..... Well, welcome to the forum anyway.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
John....new aftermarket frames are works of art and technologically superior to the stocks chassis....but a little pricey depending on your financial status. If yours has not been wrecked and bent out of shape then it most likely can be salvaged.

This all depends on what you want to do with the pick up, you going to make a high dollar type street rod or a nostalgia looking truck. Turning a 72 yr old frame into a modern IFS with all the bells costs quite a bit of money and you still have 72 yr. old steel.....which may or may not be a good thing. I would call "Sacremento Vintage Ford" and get their recommendation for a street rod builder in your area (lots of them also) take the bare frame in and see what they say about re-doing yours or aftermarket.

I'm going to send you a pm with some info on a VERY close friend of mine who is a TCI dealer. If thats the route you want to take he can make you one helluva good deal on a new bullet proof chassis. One thing to always keep in mind...hot roddin' cost a lot of money, build it right the first time and don't look back.......Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frame

Thank you Dave.
There is a great shop here in Red Bluff that builds rolling chassis and he is going to take a look at the frame for me. After looking at his work I am leaning toward a new frame. I only want to do it once. I appreciate all the advice as I have not done any of this in close to fifty years. Come to think of it,the last time I worked on a 40, it wasn't all that old.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well the 40 Ford was born 6 yrs before me so I guess we're in the same boat. As like most things the foundation of a project is the most important thing. Since you have been away for a while do your research on products and prices, keeps you from buying unneeded stuff and from gettng screwed by unscrupulous dealers.........yes, there are a few in the hot rod biz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.