Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a small block 400 i been told was bored .030 over. i'm really not sure, but to be safe, i'm going to assume the bottom end is stock. the heads are world sportsman II 200cc heads, the intake is a torker II, which i'll probly be swapping for a performer rpm. i don't know much about the cam either, i wasn't given a cam card, but through motors i've had and built in the past, i can make a rough estimate that the duration is in the 280 ballpark, and probly somehwere around a 500 lift. i checked the timing at idle, and it is 11 degrees advanced. my question is where is the safe range for maximum rpms? i want to set a rev limiter, but don't know where to set it at. the motor makes power past 5,000 rpms, but i don't want to push it too far without some advice or guidance from someone who knows this kinda information a little better.

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
z28camaro82z said:
I have a small block 400 i been told was bored .030 over. i'm really not sure, but to be safe, i'm going to assume the bottom end is stock.

Never assume, you need to KNOW. Pull the pan off and have a look, it's not that difficult.

With that said, it's won't likely make much power past 5700-5800 rpm with the heads and cam you have. Set the rev limiter for 6K and have fun.

Larry

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I follow ColdKnock Completely. Unless you know it`s the same thing as driving with a blind fold on. The short 400 rods give a crappy rod to stroke ratio that out runs the flame front at mid to upper RPM`s so detonation is more sensitive and detonation is what destroys engines.

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
6000 rpm is pushing if it still has stock rod bolts, 7000 rpm not a problem with either short 5.565" or longer 5.7" rod if good rod bolts are used, but power ends about 6500 with the short rods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.