Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new and i was wondering if any one could help me out alittle bit.
I have grown up in a day in age were Imports are god and american muscle is dead, but i own a pontiac firebird and im tired of getting my *** kick by these little *** imports. i came across a 400 chevy big block in wonderful running shape and i was wondering if some of you guys could help me with some info on how to get the most power out of this engine, such as letting me know what i need to change out like headers, cams, pistons stuff like that it would be a great help thanks.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
The Chevy 400 big block is basically a factory bored out 396. It will benefit from a raise in compression, a good performance cam, bigger valves, a little pocket porting and a decent dual plain aluminum high rise manifold with a 750 ish CFM performance carb. When it comes to the exhaust, I wouldn't go with anything less than a quality set of headers and 2 1/4" or larger duals with either an "H" pipe or "X" pipe and performance mufflers.

Remember if you go with a Chevy in your Pontiac if you have an automatic you'll have to change to a Chevy version since the bell-housing bolt pattern is different on BOP transmissions.

Centerline

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.