Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
400 Chevy 4 bolt what is it worth?

Guys

What is a 4 bolt 400 Chevy short block worth, a fellow car guy has one and want to sell it. I think they only made the 4 bolt 400 two years?

THANKS--FAT40 :thumbup:

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
It's worth whatever somebody else is willing to pay for it. What shape is it in? About a year ago I paid $200 for a block, crank, rods and pistons all disassembled and in need of machine work. The pistons were no good and I don't plan on using the rods. All I wanted was the block and crank anyway.

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
$300-$400. same as a two bolt. the two bolt mains have thicker webbing. some think they are better than the 4 bolts, but...no matter
oh yeah, that is for a virgin un bored block, i.e., stock bore, never been bored. a 030 block would depend if it needed another over bore

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
I got a longblock 4-bolt for $250 that was 30-over, no ridge, good crosshatches. I sold the crap heads for $75 :) That was a bargain. I would pay 300 for a stock bore in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
curtis73 said:
I got a longblock 4-bolt for $250 that was 30-over, no ridge, good crosshatches. I sold the crap heads for $75 :) That was a bargain. I would pay 300 for a stock bore in a heartbeat.
I have 3 in the shop that are standard bore 2 of them the cylinders sonic tested JUNK the other has a crack form the cam tunnel to the mains you can have them for free if you think they are that good.LOL

·
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy
341 Posts
I bought my first 400 that was complete and standard everything, never been messed with for $300 about 1 year ago.

I bought my second 400, 509 block(high nickel), with 69000 miles on it, still see hone and no ridge (standard everything, reusable cylinders, and complete) for 425. This was about a month ago.

I saw a 817 400 block on ebay that needed to be bored - with just the block and the caps went for $310.

All of these were 2 bolts...

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
CNC BLOCKS N/E said:
I have 3 in the shop that are standard bore 2 of them the cylinders sonic tested JUNK the other has a crack form the cam tunnel to the mains you can have them for free if you think they are that good.LOL
Haha. I can probably get $10 each for them as recyclables :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.