Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Easier and cheaper to find a 455 short block to use (though they are getting hard to come by). I raced Pontiacs for several years and unless you do extensive and expensive mods, you can get as much or more performance out of a 400 compared to a 455. Max rpm for stock/moderately modified 455 is 5500-5800 MAX. 400 can go to 6200 with slight mods. I turned 7000 regularly with a 400, though it had some oil system mods and proper cam / springs etc. Spend your money on some head work (aluminum heads ?) for your 400 and you'll save $$ and be happier.
Good luck.

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
A pre 75 400 block is stronger than a 455 block, if you're talking about making some serious horsepower. I have a 455 block that started cracking between the main saddles and the cam journals. If you're not going to use an aftermarket block (they come with 3" mains unless speasial ordered), you are better off using the 400. With the stroker kits that are out now, it's the only way to go. My son built a 400 for a friend using a 4.25" crank, Eagle rods, and 87cc E-heads, to use in a 70 GP. At 60 mph, he can mat the throttle and light the tires, with a 2.78 rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xntrik said:
Was a articles not long ago.// one 400, one 400 stroker, one 455.

Check HotRod Mag, CarCraft, Popular HotRodding web site tech articles to find it.
Have checked out some mag.would like to find some that have stroke the 400 with there specs and results. Found one from Pontiac street performance "Greg Norvell's 1968 Firebird 400 stroker" found it interesting and informated. Would like to make my 74 gto a hot little machine?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
waynesgto said:
Have checked out some mag.would like to find some that have stroke the 400 with there specs and results. Found one from Pontiac street performance "Greg Norvell's 1968 Firebird 400 stroker" found it interesting and informated. Would like to make my 74 gto a hot little machine?
400 stroker was in Engine Masters Magazine.

Go to PHR site and click on Engine Masters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.