Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Engine has been completly rebuilt,Bored .030 over all new Pistons,Cam,HD Oil Pump.The Rod and Mains are Std.The Engine runs very well and has 600 miles on it.It is stock except Performer Manifold and Headers.My Question is why the Engine does not carry more than 40# oil pressure at any one time.The gauge is S/W electronic and brand new.When the Engine has been run pretty good the pressure falls to 25#.Thank you.The Engine is a 400 s/b Chev.

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Fowler ]</p>

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ron,

only thing i can think is that oil-pressure sending unit isn't matched to your gauge.

JB

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
The first thing that I would do would be to take a mechanical guage abd screw it in the port you now have your electric oil sending unit in and check pressure, this will tell you if your sending unit is mismatched or not, as this will be a direct reading and should be correct. If the oil pressure is still low then I would try replacing the pump. If that does not change things, then I would think you had a problem with cam bearings. Were the cam bearings replaced ? If they were not that is probably it, if they were replaced maybe someone went overboard with the reamer after they installed the bearings. So that is my suggestion, start with the cheapest thing first, check and verify oil pressure with a mechanical guage, if you do not find the problem there then swap out the pump, if that does not do it you have big problems, more than likely cambearings ----- good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ron,

There both right ck the oil pessure with a mechanical guage and compare readings,may want to ck oil pump also both mating flanges pump to block for straight as oil could bleed off. also if the enine was built for you, were cam bearings replaced. Possile other suggestions,correct bearing clearence,weight of oil your running. Try the easy things first,then look for the more complicated ones. Good Luck.

NOVA JEFF

·
Registered
123 Posts
howdy ron!by all means do check yhe sening unit out. a lot of the time they are not replaced when building anew motor.pretty cheap to stick anew one in.also,if your oil pump is standard your oil pressure wont be very high at operating temp.[25 lb.s idling,40 lb.s above idle]however !it should register higher[10 lb.s or so]on cold start.jimm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts