Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
Mr. Buick....I have'nt a clue what you are asking, plug up what water holes??? and redrill what?? Obviously you want to make a stronger block but what is your application, street, race??, need more specifics.
 

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
Joined
·
5,122 Posts
327NUT said:
Mr. Buick....I have'nt a clue what you are asking, plug up what water holes??? and redrill what?? Obviously you want to make a stronger block but what is your application, street, race??, need more specifics.
:welcome: welcome :welcome:

Most all race builders tap the deck holes 1/2 NPT and insert a threaded hex plug that has a hole drilled in it. After installing, deck must be milled. The gaskets only have small holes in them anyway. Several companies supply these plugs.

I guess it helps. Been done for years and years by the pros.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xntrik said:
:welcome: welcome :welcome:

Most all race builders tap the deck holes 1/2 NPT and insert a threaded hex plug that has a hole drilled in it. After installing, deck must be milled. The gaskets only have small holes in them anyway. Several companies supply these plugs.

I guess it helps. Been done for years and years by the pros.
:welcome:
Thanks that is what I was wanting to know, I am building a 400 sm block drag and street car, and had been told that it helps make the block stiffer.
Do you know if it should be decked before or after the block is bored?
 

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
Joined
·
5,122 Posts
mr buick said:
:welcome:
Thanks that is what I was wanting to know, I am building a 400 sm block drag and street car, and had been told that it helps make the block stiffer.
Do you know if it should be decked before or after the block is bored?

read # 3,,,,, :rolleyes:
 

·
King of my Man-cave.
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
mr buick said:
:welcome:
Thanks that is what I was wanting to know, I am building a 400 sm block drag and street car, and had been told that it helps make the block stiffer.
Do you know if it should be decked before or after the block is bored?
The plugs should be installed first, then the block decked, then the bores bored and honed with torque plates (with the main caps installed and torqued).

FWIW, I haven't seen any gasket failures with 400 blocks that didn't have the plugs installed with properly prepared deck and head surfaces and good head installation techniques and good head gaskets.

tom
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top