Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i got a 89 ext cab s10 ripped the old 4.3 and 700r4 tranny out along with pcm and all the harness plans:

got a 400 sb .30 over my uncle got me a deal on the block needs rebuild has KB pistons and new rings in it.

so im looking for a buget build i got an offer on trading the 700r4 for a th350 i think im gonna take and rebuild with a shift kit.

as for the motor any ideas on a cheap forged crank?

what rods should i grab that will hold up too 650hp

was thinking a cam around 550 lift vortec heads pocket ported beehive springs roller rockers.

victory jr intake with a holley 750 cfm carb

i was thinking maybe welding in aprox 250lbs in the back of my box maybe might make it hook up a little better do you think the weight would help?

my plan is 8.8 ford posi rear with 4.11 gears and some sticky tires

·
More for Less Racer
20,952 Posts
Scat cast crank and Scat I-beam rods would work nicely, no need for a steel crank below the 650 hp level if this isn't a circle track engine. Ported vortecs will get you to 550 hp but not good enough for 650 hp.

Adding 250lbs to the rear of the truck to get it to hook is a real ******* method. It might get you hook, but it still won't be as fast as it could be with the correct suspension mods to get the hook without the weight penalty. Cal-
Trac bars, Comp Engineering Slide-a-link, or Smith Racecraft Maxx-Trax, with the correct rear spring and a good adjustable shock will hook good enough on a race tire to drag the rear bumper. Added weight just slows you down.

You will need a good 3000+ stall converter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well ya all the right suspenion would be right im planing a ladder bar set up for next year just looking to spend 3g's on the motor and suspension a buget and go racing this year manily motor so thanks for the support and im thinking for now take a spring or too outta the leaf springs and weaker shock asorbers to make it sit on the launch and take off but im not looking for 650hp maybe 500 plus then 150 shot of nos for this season then a ladder barsetup with maybe a twin turbo setup for season

·
Registered
86 Posts
BowtieHobbzz said:
Ok so i got a 89 ext cab s10 ripped the old 4.3 and 700r4 tranny out along with pcm and all the harness plans:

got a 400 sb .30 over my uncle got me a deal on the block needs rebuild has KB pistons and new rings in it.

so im looking for a buget build i got an offer on trading the 700r4 for a th350 i think im gonna take and rebuild with a shift kit.

as for the motor any ideas on a cheap forged crank?

what rods should i grab that will hold up too 650hp

was thinking a cam around 550 lift vortec heads pocket ported beehive springs roller rockers.

victory jr intake with a holley 750 cfm carb

i was thinking maybe welding in aprox 250lbs in the back of my box maybe might make it hook up a little better do you think the weight would help?

my plan is 8.8 ford posi rear with 4.11 gears and some sticky tires
I don't understand. You say this motor from your uncle needs to be rebuilt but it has pistons and new rings already!!! Everything plays a factor when trying to build naturally aspirated HP but I think heads are where the real power is. You can find the 18 deg NASCAR 363 heads for a good price now. But you may have to change pistons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't understand. You say this motor from your uncle needs to be rebuilt but it has pistons and new rings already!!! Everything plays a factor when trying to build naturally aspirated HP but I think heads are where the real power is. You can find the 18 deg NASCAR 363 heads for a good price now. But you may have to change pistons

Pretty sure someone had it didnt build it right and the crack spun a bearing all the pistons and rings are still good just pretty much saying im gonna keep the block pistons and rings im gonna have to look into those heads

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't see how a th350 with a shift kit will hold 550hp? And careful with the vortecs you need to machine the valve guide for lifts greater than .450

im aware of the heads they need machine work and beehive springs i was wondering how far i would go porting wise with the chambers does anyone know? and ive been looking into trans and i think i might go with the 400 not the th350

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.