Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is my scenario. Im 17 and have rebuilt a few motors for my truck(85 chevy k10 1ton running gear 4:10 gears stock 350 and a 4 speed sm465) I am about to trade a pitbike to a guy for a 400 SBC. The motor is fine and is bone stock with 75k on it. I know how to rebuild an engine but not so much make power out of it by putting the right parts on it. I have a budget of about 1200-1500$ I honestly am more worried about torque then horse power I want my truck to be a "stump puller". I don't really care about how comfortable it is on the street as long as it is still a street able truck. of course I could buy a big block but put that aside and stay on topic with the 400 please. Im sure there is some info I missed out but can some people just put in there 2 cents. I already have a performer intake and 650cfm carb and headers for it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok so here is my scenario. Im 17 and have rebuilt a few motors for my truck(85 chevy k10 1ton running gear 4:10 gears stock 350 and a 4 speed sm465) I am about to trade a pitbike to a guy for a 400 SBC. The motor is fine and is bone stock with 75k on it. I know how to rebuild an engine but not so much make power out of it by putting the right parts on it. I have a budget of about 1200-1500$ I honestly am more worried about torque then horse power I want my truck to be a "stump puller". I don't really care about how comfortable it is on the street as long as it is still a street able truck. of course I could buy a big block but put that aside and stay on topic with the 400 please. Im sure there is some info I missed out but can some people just put in there 2 cents. I already have a performer intake and 650cfm carb and headers for it. Thanks for any help.
Figure out what compression ratio you have now and then pick a cam for torque that fits your compression ratio…then with the rest of your money find a good set of heads for it. (Im assuming your heads are stock) Then down the road you can always add a bigger carb and rebuild the bottom end if it ever wears out.
You could take the second route and buy retro roller lifters, and a hydraulic roller cam with matching spring, and put it in the engine now for a while until you are able to put some profiler, dart, or AFR heads on it and really make it scream! But for torque I think just a cam will help but usually stock motors compression ratios are so low it can't support too big of a cam but you want torque so that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have around 8.5/1 compression stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it has a 8:1 compression or 9:1 and good to know it should be easy to push out some torque. I was thinking, because of some research that heads and a cam alone will pretty much achieve my purpose as a decent truck pull truck. what do you think is a decent cam asuming 8:1 compression. I was going to go with dart heads thats what my buddy had on his 350 and loved them

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe it has a 8:1 compression or 9:1 and good to know it should be easy to push out some torque. I was thinking, because of some research that heads and a cam alone will pretty much achieve my purpose as a decent truck pull truck. what do you think is a decent cam asuming 8:1 compression. I was going to go with dart heads thats what my buddy had on his 350 and loved them
If your compression is say 8:1 right now, I bet your heads have combustion chamber sizes over 70cc's…so if you confirm the stock head cc's, and engine compression ratio, you will be able to pick up a set of Dart heads with smaller combustion chambers to raise compression to say 9:1 or even 9.5:1…that would open the door to go with a cam that is a bit bigger and can really take advantage of the dart heads…I bet you will want 64cc combustion chambers but you will know once you take the heads off.

From my experience you will like a 195cc intake runner or even a 210cc intake runner on the dart heads you end up choosing for torque, even tho your engine could handle 220cc heads…Just so there is no confusion, I'm talking about the intake runners and not the combustion chambers now lol
Also your 400 motor with the bigger bore will like a 2.05 or even a 2.08 intake valve on the heads bc those engines can really move some air lol I have a 406 right now it never ceases to amaze me when I hit the throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mwahaha you are making me very excited to build this. My truck use to have a built 350 in it that would rotate my 37inch tires like they were skittles. I am not really impressed with my stock 350 do to the power of my old one so I am hoping this 400 sbc with about 1k into it will bring my truck back to life. truck pulls are in 3 months so I have about 2 months to finish this. Not going to rush it though I want it done right even if that means waiting for next years pulls.

·
More for Less Racer
20,456 Posts
I take it you don't want to get into the short block beyond a cam change?? No boring, crank grinding, block decking, rod replacement, and all that??

$1200-1500 is not much budget, but you can have a little fun with the stock bottom end if you don't twist to much rpm.

·
Proud LOSER
2,185 Posts
On that budget, I would look at a knock off performer Rpm
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-226014/overview/make/chevrolet
a set of Skips's NKB heads
White Performance Detail Description
$615 with steam holes
A small Lunati stick
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/lun-10120702lk/overview/
A 750 Carb of your choice (edelbrock 750 works here, cheap and easy, low rpm)
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-1407/overview/
This leaves you enough for a new chain, push rods and gaskets and would make a fun little street motor.

·
More for Less Racer
20,456 Posts
On that budget, I would look at a knock off performer Rpm
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-226014/overview/make/chevrolet
a set of Skips's NKB heads
White Performance Detail Description
$615 with steam holes
A small Lunati stick
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/lun-10120702lk/overview/
A 750 Carb of your choice (edelbrock 750 works here, cheap and easy, low rpm)
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-1407/overview/
This leaves you enough for a new chain, push rods and gaskets and would make a fun little street motor.
This would make a fun engine.

I'd use a QuickFuel 750 Slayer Vacuum Secondary myself, I'd choose the multiple adjustability features it has as being a bigger plus than Edelbrock :http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-sl-750-vs

You'll need screw-in studs, guideplates, and head bolts and head bolt washers also. A good low cost source is : Competition Products - Performance Engine Parts, Racing Engine Parts and Accessories

Elgin/ProStock cam #E1166M cam/lifters is a close match to the Lunati, saves another $30,... or the good old 350HP 327 L79 cam/lifters (saves $50 compared to the Lunati) - Elgin #E903M and pair this cam with 1.6 ratio rocker arms to boost lift to .477". Competition Products carries the Elgin's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts