Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heys guys im new here an need sum help. i bought a 1978 chevy k10 a few years back (my dream ride) with a 400 small block that was "un touched" ( i saw the form a gasket) it has a great body so i didnt care got a sweet deal out of it. anyways i lost oil pressure the other week so i figured hey great time to make sum hp. so i took it out an i notice the oil pick up tube is almost against the crank. and i noticed form a gasket all threw the screen im going to take the block to a shop have them look it over and square sum stuff up but my question is on the pistons they were all stamped 040. im guessing it was bored 40 over? any help i would appreciate it

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
First, find out exactly what you have. The block casting number is at the back of the block, on the top, right before the bellhousing mating surface. The block suffix number is stamped on the passenger side block deck, right at the front of the deck. The head casting number is under the valve cover, between the valve guides.

·
Registered
977 Posts
X2 on finding out what you have. Yes if a piston has .040 or whatever stamped in it that is the overbore. Yours has been apart at least once.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it was. i saw the form a gasket pushed out diffrent places. im gonna send it to the local shop have the go over it. sonic check it an go from ther

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
good luck at the machine shop.If the block is not great,the shp block has a fair price tag.If thats too expensive then build a 350/369,depends on power required

·
Registered
977 Posts
Find out what the shop wants to grind the 400 crank mains down to 350 size, make a 383 out of it.
Around here most shops won't do that. With the price of a scat crank so cheaper and other cranks even cheaper it's not worth the wear on their grinder wheel and time to take on that kind of job.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If those are stock re-builder pistons in connection with the short 400 rods would be a terrible combo for performance.It would be a swap of rods and pistons requirement and that would be consideration of finding piston's sizing to fit the current bore size.Honing the block with torque plates is almost a given.Dependent of which pistons (having that choice in the hands of the machine shop before anything gets done),would lead to if decking the block was needed along with how square the deck is and the measurement of .040 squish with the now new rods and pistons chosen.I would recommend 5.7 rod length and not 6.0 rods so as to not involve pin locations in the ring land.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts